Low or no sound coming from subwoofer

SXBones

I bought this subwoofer in the summer of 2003. Since then it has been kinda shaky... it will work for a day, and then not work for 5 days. Then it will work again for a few months, and then before I even realize it, it's not working again... this has gone on for 4 years now. I took it in to Ultimate Electronics in early 2004 and they gave me a new subwoofer, but the same thing happens. I also bought a new cable as well! Same thing happens. I'm using a Yamaha receiver (I can get the detailed specs tomorrow night) - but anyway, I don't know a whole lot about this kinda stuff. However, I examined the manual/s front to back a few times and I'm 100% sure I have the settings correct for my subwoofer usage. For instance I have it set to "Both" instead of "Main" etc, and the output is the highest it can be in the settings. I have the volume or frequency up too... anyway, that's all good. The one thing I haven't checked this time around is the cable, but how could that go bad? It is plugged into the receiver and sub correctly. Oh one more thing, that Y adapter thing. I bought that originally because the manual said I needed that to attach it to the back of the sub... so I did that back in 2003 and it didn't work. So, I just put the Y adapter aside and just plugged it directly in to the LH I think it is and it worked great for a while. Well now that it's not working very well, I got that Y adapter again and am seeing if that makes it work. Here's the deal: It does kind of work, but the output bass sound from the sub is SOOO low, you can barely hear or notice it. That sucks! I want some booming low frequencies to make movies more enjoyable and video games more exciting! Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I feel lost, I don't even know who I could call in town here to have them come over and check it out. Do I make a phone call to Klipsch? Or do I call Yamaha? Ugh... so frustrated...

Ok, like I said, I bought this "in a box" system probably back in the summer of 2003. Anyway, the receiver I'm using is a Yamaha HTR-5550. The Subwoofer is a well, not sure actually. I'm looking at the manuals and there really isn't a product name. The side of the manual says, " 1999 Klipsch synergy series". On the back of the Klipsch subwoofer, it says "KSW10" - maybe that's it? The level is set at 8. The lowpass is currently set to 100, The Power is set to "auto", the Phase is set to 0 (zero). I also have the Y-Adaptor plugged in to the  "R" and the "L/LFE" on the back of the sub. The sub worked before with all these settings and it still works, but VERY low, to the point you can barely hear it and barely feel it if you touch the speaker.... Any help is so appreciated! Thanks.

Have you tried a different cable? If the sub is hooked up to a "sub out" connection on the receiver, disable the low pass filter on the sub and let the receiver do the bass management for you. Next be sure that the speakers are set too "small" in your receiver and the receiver is set to where it knows you have a sub (sub on). Still not working? Run a sub cable directly from the sub out of your DVD player after making sure that the sub is enabled in the DVD players menu. This will tell you if your sub output in the receiver is bad. Last thing I would try (if possible) is to borrow a sub from a friend and try it with your setup. Others may chime in with other suggestions.

Those are great problem solvers - I'll try that tonight. If I just can't get consistent read-outs - would you suggest calling my local Ultimate Electronics store where I bought it OR calling Klipsch? OR calling Yamaha (receiver)? And, using the Y-Adaptor is in fact the correct thing to do right? The reason I ask is because for the past two years I wasn't even using the Y Adapter and the sub was working! I just had the one cable plugged into the L/LFE input on the back of the sub...

Unless the Y connector is bad, it shouldn't be looked at as a source of the problem. You can certainly take it out of the system to eliminate it as being the problem. As far as which tech assist dept to call, that will be determined by which component you find to be at fauult.

Disconnect the KSW-10 sub from your system. Take a different cable - even a short 3' stereo cable will work fine for this test. Plug the cable into the L&R input connectors on the sub. Set the Auto/On switch to On. Set the sub volume control to about 2/3 up. Set the crossover control to 100 Hz. Now, put your finger on the center pin of the L & R jacks on the other end of the cable hooked into the sub. Does the sub make a loud blatt/buzz sound? If so, the sub is OK and your problem is elsewhere. Cables OFTEN go bad so don't assume it cannot be your cable, even if it was an expensive one.

Another test is to connect your DVD or CD player directly to your sub bypassing the receiver. If that works, the sub is fine. If not, the sub needs repair.

• 14 years later...