NH Criags List - Klipschorns $1500

Turnip

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Khorns are few and far between in the Northeast..........either there's not many of them, or those who have them don't want to give them up, can't say as I blame them.............seems to be a fair amount of other models here, Cornwalls come to mind...........Hang in there, you'll find a pair...........

Yeah, I know. K-Horns perhaps someday.

I was referring to availability of other models. I missed a set of Chorus IIs ($400) while waiting for another seller to respond, couldn't cross paths with the seller of a set of original Cornies, then DID find a set of Cornies which were sold out from under me.

So, I grabbed a set of nearly mint oiled walnut Quartets (well, mint until I knocked a corner of the laminate off the top :cry: ) just to get my Klipsch fix. I was first respondant and paid $225.

So far so good... my NAD T653 runs out of steam before the quartets start to break up ;) Normal listening and movie levels and they are sweeeet.

speakerfritz - glad you got them for the original price. I was bummed when it looked like my thread was going to steer people wrong. I'm glad you got hooked up.

jtnfoley - I'm in SE Mass too. I had been looking for Cornwalls for a while and finally "settled" for a pair of Forte II's. Not much of a settle. :>) I'm still looking for Cornwalls but I think I will get a vintage McIntosh amp first. :>)

- d

" Curious as to why you'd consider the AK-4 when you have Al's ES laying around."

I also have an extra set of AL-4's laying around...On the other hand...I want to at least try the es400+es5800 since I have a mod for them that I am curious about....I am going to replace the stock autoformer with one the size of a large 2" roll of masking tape weigthing in at 6lbs each.

I"d be interested in your comparison of the AK-4 with the ES/autoformer switchout. Thanks,

Larry

status update

I moved the khorns into my home office.  My home office is small...something like 11X9.  It will give me a way of working on the xovers.

They will ultimately go into a new room that I am adding...but the new room won't be ready til late spring.

anyway...I hooked them up and both tweeters are blown.  Not a show stopper...I have a new and unused set of T-35A's which are the same as the K-77-M's.  I remove both tweeters...cut the cable off.....and sat the new tweeters on top of the cab s so I could get thru the inital crank up.

Upon first powering up.....the sound was a dissappointment.....but since the crossovers are 20+ years old....I cranked up the volume and let her rip for about an hour.  I went ot the post office and ran some other errands.  Came back and the xovers were lit up enough to do an audition.

At normal volume the sound was very mellow...excellent mid range detail...but the bass was not an attention getter.  Even with a 135 watts per channel tube amp.  Played with the bass and got some punch out of the cabs.  This will resolve once I moved to the es400+5800 or AK-4's.

I pulled the side grills and did a general clean up and looked for issues.  found one edge with veneer than is seperating...it's about a 1 inch bullble....good news is that edge veneer is ironed on and esy to fix.  One of the top sections as a strange black spot that almost looks like a knot that is supposed to be there...but it does not match the grain scheme so it's one of those everyday life customazations.  The same top has a ring from a plant or something.  The other can looks fine....some minor scratched on the top from sliding around an object...but a few drops of water will swell that back to form.

Here are some pic's.

Keep in mind this is my home office....not the best place for khorns....but I cant leave them in the car til late spring.

Side covers pulled so you can see more of the cabs.