LaScala Crossovers

Alex C

Hello All,

I am new to tis forum and have a few questions regarding my LaScalas. They are Ser # 11R431 and 11R432 with the type AA crossovers. I use them with a Moth 2A3.

I believe it is time to upgrade [the caps are original and nothing has been moved for years]. I do not see any leaking but I read recently that these old 'cans' don't last forever.

ALK is one option but if I replace the caps will it bring the sound back to specs? Any suggestions would be much welcomed.

Sincerely,

alex c in Owen Sound, Ontario Canada

Alex,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum.  Yes, replacing the caps will bring the old AAs back to original specs.  And that is a good thing to do because your old caps in the AAs are certainly bad by now.  I have never found a good cap in an original Type AA and I have rebuilt hundreds of them.

Bob Crites

I think you made a good choice, since you are using the 2A3. The lower order crossovers tend to work a bit better with the lower powered amps. Plus, the cost to do the upgrade you have chosen is rather minimal. I built some 1st order crossovers for my LS, and am very satisfied with how well they have worked with my Moondogs.

And, welcome to the nut house!

Bruce

Bruce,

I appreciate your comments on the 2A3. I had a Korneff 45 previously and while it was a 'spooky' amp the 2A3 Moth really pulls the music from the Klipsch. I used to listen to dual concentric Tannoys -Blacks, Golds etc. and still like the Alnico Goodmans but the Klipsch are more a 'live' sound. Thanks for the kind words.

Alex