Speaker Wire Recommendations

joeglow

I am in the process of re-doing our basement. As part of the project, I want to get all my speaker wire's in the walls. I will be running an RW-12d, RS-52's, RB-81's & the RC-62 to complement my Chorus II's. My question is what kind of speaker wire do I go with? I figure I will need about 175 feet of wire. The store was pushing the Monster cables, which are obviously pricey. Ideally, I want as nice of quality as possible without sacrificing sound. However, I also do not want to simply pay more for name (which many seem to think you are with Monster).

thanks for the help.

I am glad you asked this, as I had the same question. What is the difference in the various gauges, and does it make a difference if you have bare wire or have pins? Are the connections to the sub-woofer with the same speaker wire? As you can tell by my questions, I am a complete novice.

Thanks,

Most of the Techs at Klipsch recommend that you use WIRE. That's right, just good quality copper wire. 16 gauge generally, 14 gauge if longer than 50 feet. Yes you can get a humongo spool of it at Lowes or Home Depot.

Use the extra money for some nice DVD's and think of it as a gift from Klipsch ! [G]

That is all.

go with good quality 12awg. you can't go wrong. the awg depends on LENGTH and watts. if you are running wire to the rears and you are using around 50'-70' the 12awg will hold the juice and (it will be easier to push the watts at that distance. i used the 12awg wire we use on the aircraft...free is always a nice thing...and it works great. my runs arn't that long either, the furtherest speaker was 45'. for the most part wire is wire, take james advice, bluejeanscable.com is a really good company. you can also try cablesolutions.com. if you have trouble finding them on the web go to ebay and type in "canare" those two companys will be in there. thats where i got my canare cables, which i have to add my 2 cents and say they are awesome!

i hope that helps

14- 12 guage and make sure it is UL listed so you can put them behind drywalls.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=40

Call and ask them their suggestions too. You might find you get a better deal here than your local Hi Fi Shop.

Always buy some extra, you will find a use for it later.

What Colterphoto1 said is true.. good old lamp cord, 14- 12 guage will probably do just fine too. I doubt your buddy with 800 dollar per side wire will agree, but I also doubt he could hear it too. For what it is worth, I bought Monster in bulk for my own. (on a huge sale.)

just to refresh my memory why do you need wire rated UL to go behind the walls? what goes into getting that rating? if you were to use the normal wire but have a tubing installed behind the walls so the wire stayed competely in there would that be okay too??

12 gauge is great for carrying any current up to 100ft., any run longer than 100ft you should jump up to 10 gauge. This is not my opinion, but the NEC(national electrical code). There is no code for low voltage in any state that I have worked so really its up to you since its not carrying 120 volts. I think you can pick up 100ft. for like $40.00 at home depot. Dont worry about fire rating. Residential does not call out for plenum rated or fire rated speaker wire.

"I figure I will need about 175 feet of wire.  The store was pushing the Monster cables, which are obviously pricey. "

I bought a 250 roll of Monster Z2 wire pretty cheap on ebay as few weeks ago to use in a room addition I am working on.

A few years ago I added 2 rooms to my house and pre-wired one of the rooms for 7.1 using real  heavy guage home depot wire and was not happy with the results.

It really depends on your equipment, state of power conditioning, and quality of inter-connects before deteriming if you need basic wire or designer wire.  

One thing is for sure....once you put the wires in your walls, it's almmost impossible to pull it out and upgrade to better stuff.

I really regret not using better wire in the earlier room project.....it's not like it cost that much more.

Depending on your state "*When installing speaker wire inside walls it must meet building and fire codes." So (UL) CL3 & FT4 Ratings meet all fire codes* for most here.

http://www.ul.com/av/tv.html

Household and commercial use audio and video products

Products under this category are audio and video receiving, processing, recording and reproducing appliances and accessories intended for household and commerical use. Included are:

High Definition and Standard Definition television receivers,

digital and analog audio and video receiving, editing, processing , recording and playback equipment,

powered speakers,

amplification equipment, and

digital cameras.

UL has developed more than 800 Standards for Safety. Our Standards for Safety are essential to helping ensure public safety and confidence, reduce costs, improve quality and market products and services. Millions of products and their components are tested to ULs rigorous safety standards with the result that consumers live in a safer environment than they would have otherwise.

It is better than your house burning down, your builder saying it was not my install, and your in trouble.

It is better than your house burning down, your builder saying it was not my install, and your in trouble.

Even if you install ul listed wire, which everything Home Depot sells is ul listed and it burns down you are still not covered by insurance. If it is a fire started by something you did you are responsible. Most home owners policies require all upgrades(electrical/low voltage) to be done by a licensed electrician or installer.

xdetroitx What your saying is true.. but why put something you know might not be good in your walls for a few pennies more your covered.. (At least protection wise, getting wire designed to do that purpose?) Unless you understand where something might be UL listed for a certain application, but never to be placed (Application wise) under a carpet and pad, or a rug, as a consumer might do...... why do that?

While I agree you do need someone to do your major electrical work unless your the licensed installer doing your own.... Speaker wire is hardly a upgrade rocket science project, and when your pushing 200 x 7 watts +++ as some do in here.... into 18 guage el cheapo wire that gets hot at the touch it just feels wrong... (And probably is!) Again just use some common sense. To the outsider.. over buy slightly and rest easier.. At what point do we become paranoid so much we call the electrician to see if our 20 feet of stereo wire is ok.... to hook up our speakers? And OMG on top of the carpet next to the baseboards too.. oh the shame!!!

Call parts express, they can... I am sure....... pontificate it better than I.

Actually, most building codes require FT4 rated wires in wall because

of the toxins emitted by the burning wire insulation.... as well as for

the spread of fire through the wall cavity. It's also easier to "pull" and more resistant to punctures. Because it's

required by code... not using plenum wire could constitute a hidden

vice for a future owner of the home.

You can use either regular inwall electrical supply wire (three

conductor) or inwall speaker wire (two or four conductors).

Speaker wire is normally less waste full because it doesn't have an odd

number of conduits (ie: ground wire).

I used Belden FT4 12guage (both 2 and 4 conductor) wire I got from a

local electronics surplus store... but have no problems with other

brands (Carol, or whatever you have locally)

ROb

just my 2 cents, if you take a few extra minutes and maybe $20, go down to the local home depot and buy a bunch of 1/2" sprinkler PVC pipe. buy all the necessary elbows, 45 degree joints, T's, etc you need to have each speaker have its own PVC run. this way if the wire heat up, the PVC will not let it burn any insulation. (you would have to have 24awg wire pushing 300watts before it would melt the PVC). just take each speaker, have the PVC go through the roof or wall and then get it to the receiver. this way you are safe from fire, and if you want to upgrade or if you sell your house and you want your wire back, it's a whole lot easier with the tubing. right now i have the PVC in my living room running my wires. i know for a fact (because i am using it right now) that 3 pairs of twisted wire - WITHOUT A JACKET- will fit in 1/2" PVC pipe. i put them all in one because i am in an apartment and can't go through the ceiling.

for the record as long as you use 12awg copper wire you will be fine. the diameter of the 12awg is the same on any brand of wire. the differences are how many strands and the insulator. if you have all high end stuff just get the high end cable, you spend that much already why now a few dollars more. on the flip side, if you have low end or even mid grade go with GOOD 12awg copper wire. you won't be able to hear a difference.

again just my 2cents and i am sure someone wants to give me some change back...lol

good luck in your decision.