Do I need a new sub?

TheKillerTomato

I recently picked up a Pio VSX-81TXV, two RF-82's, an RC-62, and two RS-52's. I already had a JBL PB10, 150 watt 10" down firing sub. I would like to upgrade with a reference sub, but I'm wondering what type of difference it would make. I see that I would get a lower frequency response, but when I do my auto calibration with the receiver, if I have the sub's gain turned more than half way up, the receiver will tell me the sub is too loud, and must be turned down.

I am a 75% home theater guy, so would the Klipsch sub really make a wealth of difference?

I was running a Paradigm sub and just switched to a RSW-10d and the change was amazing, its sound is so much better than the average Paradigm sub. I always thought it sounded good before but now its a whole different experience. All my movies and music are a joy to listen to again

I would say that yes, you should upgrade your sub. All the speakers you bought can handle very high volumes. I dont see a 150 sub "hanging" very well with the rest of your system. I would say at minimum, get the RW12D. There are many great sub companies. Check em out before buying any. (Outlaw, SVS, HSU, etc.) But yes, If I was you I would definitely upgrade the sub.

Your receiver may say it's too loud because all you're getting with that JBL is midbass :)

Yes, your mains and otherwise are lions, your sub is a mouse :) Your RF-82's full range probably put out more low frequency than your sub.

These small JBL subs are what I call squakers,simple woofers mounted in decorative cabinets.Poor displacement and poor extension and as a bonus so so sound quality.

A Klipsch RT10d will move several times more air,dig seriously deeper,and above all offer sound quality several steps above what you get with the little JBL. Right now your system is a mismatch,RF82's matched with a "sub" that moves less air the RF82's can!

For small to midsized rooms a RSW10d or RT10d,in mid to larger rooms a RT12d.