Cartridge/Arm mismatch?

Tarheel

About two years ago I bought a Denon DP-1250 tt off ebay complete with a AT-440ML cartridge and an aftermarket ADC arm. The table had been checked out by a tecnician and was in mint condition. The previous owner had refinished the tt in a dark mahogany and it is really attractive. Everything arrived in great shape. The upgrade bug bit and I ordered a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge from a dealer on Audiogon. I have been using the above rig for the past year and have been happy with the performance but one issue has got me wondering if I am getting everything from this cartridge.

The arm was apparently made when tracking very light was the word of the day. The arm only goes to 1.75 tracking force. The Virtuoso Wood's optimal tracking force is 2.2 grams. I have got the tracking force as well as the antiskating both set at 1.75 and it sounds fine.

What am I missing tracking lighter than recommended? Anyone familiar with this table/arm combination? Any quick fix or suggestions? Would prefer not to change arms if possible. Yes...I know I should have looked at the tracking force rec prior to selecting a cartridge but the Stereophile magazine review was was extremely flattering.

Would like to hear from the M&M guys in particular (Mark, Max, Malette) who seem to know a lot about tts but all help is appreciated. Mark...your recent thread on tts though an excellent thread, started me thinking about an upgrade....thanks a lot.

Chuck

Thanks Jay...I have Roy Buchanan's "Dancing on The Edge" blasting as I type and must say it sounds great. However...Iam tracking lighter than recommended at 1.75...I would like to try 2.2 grams but can't because of the arms limit. Just now I can't imagine it sounding better...but who knows. Bluesboy said it sounded great as well but thats what friends do right?

Chuck

Type
Moving Magnet

Output (1Khz 50 mm/sec)
mv

Freq Response
20Hz - 20kHz

Output Impedance
660 ohms

Load Impedance
47k ohms

L/R Separation 1kHz
> 30db

L/R Balance 1kHz
< 0.2db

Stylus Tip
Elliptical

Cantilever
Aluminum

Dynamic Compliance
x 10-6cm/Dyne

Static Compliance
???

VTF
2.0-2.5gm

Mass: 6gm

Price: $800 USD

If the table I just copied from the cartridge db worked than above I think this is the cartridge you have. The Aurum Virtuoso wood - same specs for both versions.

Now does your arm look like this:

adc_40.jpg

Or like this:

adc_lmf1.jpg

Or even:

adc_alt1.jpg

Basically these are variations on a theme of light arms. they appear to vary between 7 and 7.5 gram apparent mass.

With the Clearaudio cartridge therefore:

You have a resonant frequency of 11 - 12 Hz - which is ideal - so no worries there - what about the VTF?

If:

Bass notes are playing loud and strong.

The arm is not skipping or jumping.

The soundstage is properly formed and all spacial information appears correct.

You do not have a problem. could it sound better tracking at between 2 and 2.5 grams - maybe yes, maybe no. I run a Denon 103 rather light at 2.1 grams. I do this because I think it is more tonally correct that way.

When manufacturers quote a figure it is a guidline. This guideline will be aimed at users of the more common arms out there - in other words medium mass arms. For a lower mass arm like yours the optimal figure may well be different. You like the sound - spin that vinyl - enjoy. Only start to worry if you think you are detecting above normal wear on records you play regularly.

Mark...the arm is a low mass carbon fiber straight arm 224mm in length. I would have probably been better off with the original arm but thats not how it was offered. Sliding the weight forward would add more weight to the front but the arm would no longer be balanced...is that a problem? Thanks for the tip on the test record.

Jay...yes that is a tricky one. Say what you think and risk offending or tell the truth.

BTW... that Buchanan lp is on Alligator Records and really a superior recordng if you like blues. Time to flip it over. Next up is Junior Wells' and the Chicago Blues Band "Hoodo Man Blues" and its still only friday afternoon!

Chuck

Max....my table's arm is the one in the middle of your pictures. Your post makes me feel a lot better about the arm/cartridge match. Certainly your comments about the tracking force and the fact that you track a little lighter than recommended eased my mind. The bass notes on the lp I just listened to were just right and the stylus never jumps or skips.

I was very tempted by a tt I saw on Audiogon today.......a six month old Roksan 5 at a very good price but a forum member I consulted reminded me that in todays dollars my Denon, direct drive and all, may be just as good a table and the Roksan may not be an upgrade.

Anyway.....Thanks guys....I really appreciate your help. I will go spin another one resting a little easier. The drinks are on me.

Chuck