Dent in Woofer cone, is it a big problem?

Dome

I recently purchased a set of RF-3's that were closeout floor model speakers from a local SoundTrack. I am currently putting together my first HT setup. I love these speakers and they sound great, however, one of them has a few dents in one of the woofer cones (the copper colored part). The speakers sounds just fine, no distortion or anything, but could a dent in the cone cause any kind of problem down the road for these speakers??

I am a college student which is why I did not opt for a set of RF-3II's, but if a dent in the woofer code will cause me any kind of problem down the road, I may opt to get an RF-3II instead. If I do have to go that route, would any of you advise against mixing a RF-3II and an RF-3, would they noticably sound different at all?

Thanks,

Adam

if it is a dimple, then you are okay, but if it is a hanging chad, you will find the issue unresolved for a year -

seriously though, a dimple in the copper cone is probably not a problem, unless it is sharp, not soft, and looks like it might crease or tear. A tear in the cone is a problem, though you may not hear a small tear and it could be fine for years - it really depands on how hard you work the woofers ...

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing! (system at http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/2301.html)

You bought them from an authorized dealer so i am sure they will.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

You could try the warranty, and Klipsch may replace them, but they wouldn't have to. It's not Klipsches fault there is a dent in the woofer. If you had bought them brand new, and they came out of the box like that, then it would be their problem. But whether the box was sitting on the floor in a store or in your home, a dent caused by someone (in other words abuse) shouldn't have to be covered by their warranty. The store should have to cover that, unless they stated in the sale, as is - no warranty from the store.

A warranty is for a defective product that goes out on its own, not for a product that is broken by abuse. How would Klipsch know you bought these open box or not? I don't know, so maybe you will be ok - I can't imagine a single woofer costing them that much, and they would probably rather make a customer happy for the small price.

Good luck!

Bryan

yeah, i do not think that they protect against pre existing problems and enflicted damage... not unless it was in shipping or some other way from Klipsch.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I bought all the broken down "parts" of a now (and then, I think) Klipsch THX HT system from an authorized Klipsch dealer who was going out of business (local NBT Wiz). The dealer said they would be covered under warranty. Some of the speakers were punched out and non functional, the sub amp was blown. I called Klipsch, they sent shipping labels, arranged for pick-up and returned them to me in short order. Just another reason why I'm a big Klipsch fan. Call them. Tell them your situation and ask them to help you with whatever it is you need.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Well, I talked to Klipsch today, and they assured me that the dent in the woofer would not impaire the speakers sonically, nor would it make the woofer weaker (ie more susceptable to blow)... so I guess all is good (still makes me kind of wish I had payed a little more for the protection plan from the dealer... just in case).