floor standing speakers in the wall

InVeNtOr

i found this klipsch sub http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/rsw-12.aspx (RSW-12) is this a good sub or should i look into getting a different companys sub? this one would be ideal if i hide it into a wall. if i decide to not hide everything and keep it open then would the new triangle sub be better (as far as quality and deepness, stuff like that) http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rt-12d.aspx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your trip to star power. I'm surprised about the room with the RF 83's and the sales people, may be they changed it since I was there a month ago.

I have only read good reviews about RT 12d sub so far, I would love to get one but $2000 is a little out of my price range.
I send you a Email, check out the link it might be something you would be interested in

don't get me wrong, the room was nice, well okay to me. my wife love it though. it's the same room in the broacher, the screen just looked bad to me. maybe it was the format on the move that messed it up for me. the 100" screen just looked great, a bit big at first look, but i sat down and decided, that would work for me. the only reason i want to hide the stuff in the wall is because it seems to look better. from what i keep hearing, it might look better but it's really hard to make it sound as good as if you didn't hide them away.

what do you do for the bass ports in the BACK?

Make your hole in the wall "huge" and put a scrim across it. Say like 1 foot beyond the back of the speaker, 3 feet wide in the back and 5 feet wide in the front (to avoid parallel walls). That's why rear ported speakers suck for "in-wall" installations.

There are VERY few speakers that sound good when placed near a wall, much less in a wall. Even 2pi designs are a compromise. Porting is somewhat of a myth. Bass frequencies are omnidirectional and port placement really is not the deciding factor unless you are actually blocking the ability to allow air to flow freely in and out. I got the smoothest frequency response in my large room with my RF7's 4 feet from the rear wall and 4.5 feet from the side walls. If you want to hide them, I suggest a false screen wall and move everything out, including the projector screen. This will allow you to move them away from the walls and still get that hidden look without severly compromising the sound quality the RF7's are capable of. I considered it in my family room but the 18 foot ceilings, study doors, and bank of windows prevented an elegant solution.

Aesthetics are important but if this is a dedicated HT, I would put acoustics ahead of anything else with such a capable speaker.

well i have thrown out the other drawing and redrew everything in 3d. i even drew the brackets so i know exackly how it would look. looks good on paper. what i decided was the speakers, 9 years ago cost me good money (in 97 i paid $937 for all the speakers 2ea 10.5, 1ea c-5, 4ea 1.1, and ksw-12) i bought them in germany and there was no tax! anyways....

i decided the speakers are so nice, why hide them. from what i am hearing it makes them sound worse, costs more to build these walls, and it is an accustic nighmare. so they are out and free! once i get a few more dimentions i will post the 3d drawing, if anyone really cases about looking at drawings.

thanks for everyones input, it help change my mind for the better. btw i am also going with the 100" projector screen and not the 70" sony (besides i read the post why sony sucks and then decided it might be a bad idea).

david

well i went back to star power today, and it was total different experience. i had a good time and was actually paid attention to. the sales man, Jack Woodcock, really helped me out, he even offered my wife a soda. the other guy didn't. just some of the small things you notice when your about to spend $30,000.

he did tell my about the gray screens. sounds like they are a better screen to have. they don't cost that much more, does anyone have one or had the white one and then upgraded to the gray?

If I had to do it over, I may have bought a grey screen but I was not convinced that I would have complete light control so I bought a 1.4 gain screen. I think the blacks suffer a little bit but on the other hand, we can have lights on in the kitchen with little or no decernable affect on the screen.

If you are building a dedicated space and know that you will be able to make it as dark as you want, I would consider a grey screen over a 1.0 gain or better. Obviously, the projector you get comes into play too but Projector Central is pretty good at publishing optimal calibration lumens so you can compare real world light output before you buy a projector or a screen. Great site, by the way, and good recommendations on the best height, distance and angle for a projector. Let us know if you need suggestions as you get closer to mounting and we can give you the cliff note version.

Looks like you have things covered. Glad to see that you are not putting the speakers in a hole in the wall. That would not be a good idea at all. I have never been a fan of the grey screens. In my opinion the more gain the better. Also it looks like your screen placement is high as in neck straining high.

Hopefully you will get some good ideas and some practical experience when you stop by on Sunday? Have you decided on a time yet? There are a couple of other "tag alongs" that I need to give the time too.

Laters,

Jeff

jeff, i was thinking around the noonish time. yeah i was looking at the screen. it does seem a little high. i do have room to shrink the et center and drop the screen down a bit. i think all in all i have around 5". i will check with it tonight. if i could i would like to leave around an inch between the center and the bottom of the frame.

Jeff,

hey here you go with the screen height. i looked at some options and shrunk the et center. i just made it .5" all away around instead of 3" on the bottom. i then dropped the screen to have the bottom of the frame to be even with the height of the center channel. i have a drawing here. i turned the chair to "glass" so you can see a straight on view through it. that way it won't obstruct your view of the whole layout.

Looks better. You can take measurements of my setup when you come over this weekend. I have a 52" tall image that is about 28" off the floor. It is a tad high from the first row of seating but perfect from the riser. You will be able to spend as much time as you like sitting and watching images so you can get a good feeling of what you are planning for your setup. The height from the floor issue is why I am using Heresys instead of the newer speakers.

Do you know how to get ahold of falcon20x? He wanted to come over too but I have not gotten a response to the PM I sent him.

Laters,

Jeff

alright,

jeff, you get the system going....falcon you bring the popcorn, i'll bring the candy, we will all send the wives and kids....well anywhere....and we can look and listen to some good movies! lol lol.

falcon, i was planning around noonish...

jeff,

yeah i'll bring the tape measure to get a good feel of things. i think with shrinking the et center and dropping the screen down, it looks it should be a good height. i also took the advice of westcott and put the chair (seating) 2/3 rd into the room. i am just hoping with the sub behind me in it's own little space i can get good sounds out of it. i know i have to put a board, or tile under it because the media room will be all carpet.

did i open up a new item i should think about? is carpet good to have in a media room? is there a good or better carpet to use? hard wood floors? i could put some vinyl in there if that would be better.

someone let me know. thanks.