EOH Acoustical Treatment

DrWho

We actually have a leftover kit from the workshop we ran so if you're interested in it let me know. I've already got a bunch of motorboards and sonotube cutup and ready to go too. Some of the guys went with down-firing designs for a more SVS style look, while others like myself just prefer to put em on their side without finishing them [;)]

The only thing I would do differently if I were to do it again would be to figure out a way to do flared ports....perhaps just making everyone go with an external amp and building a small enclosure for it, which would provide room to put the port on the rear panel instead. Also, you should add some dampening material to the insides of the enclosure - the tube tends to ring a bit, moreso when cranking it.

I think that pretty much covers the basics of the design? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks very much for that, DrWho. Exactly what I was looking for.

I might be interested in the parts/pieces, PM me if you would, with prices. I would probably try the external amp and rear flared port design, so just the tube and amp that you have, and the woofer if you have that.

I'll bet you had a blast doing all that, but I know what kind of excruciating stress an open house can put on everyone involved. And all the stuff you normally are supposed to be doing either gets done half-assed, or not at all. But it's all fun at the end.

Shipping will be killer, but give me some time to sort out the individual prices of everything and I'll get that PM to ya as soon as possible. Been playing a little catch up with school...

The extra woofer we have scratches when it moves - not exactly sure what's wrong with it but it should be an easy fix. I just haven't had time to get around to it. That would be the only deterrent right now. We have everything else that you might need.

Anyways, I'll let you know when that PM gets sent out...

DrWho-I'm sure I've read this before somewhere but it escapes me at the moment. What will your degree be in and your accompanying major/concentration? It's interesting to note that you attend the school where my grandfather was a professor long, long ago (we discussed that briefly in a pm quite some time ago). I had forgotten that until I noticed the sign in the first picture in the thread.

This is a pretty interesting thread. Acoustical treatments are something that seem to be fairly overlooked in this hobby, by myself as well, although they have a tremendous impact on how our gear sounds. Are you aware of any good reading material, basic in nature, that is a good place to begin learning the fundamentals? I don't want to get your thread off on a tangent, so feel free to PM me if you like.

-David

I'll be getting my Bachelors in Electrical Engineering next spring (2008). No official emphasis really, but I'm taking as many of the audio related courses as I can in hopes of pursuing an audio career since that's where my passion lies.

I think the major deterrent to acoustical treatment is that it is expensive to make it look pretty. The entire cost of all the product in that classroom was under $60 and you would just have to experience the difference it made to appreciate its importance in a dedicated listening environment. I personally would love the look of the curved masonite panels if they were covered with some "rich carpet" and then close the backs so you don't got caves happening. Then install some dramatic colored lighting from above (and maybe below) to accentuate the curves and bring out some wild shapes as the different colored light hits it. Of course, now you're looking at $400 per panel and you'll have to make sure you carry out the same scheme throughout the room for it to look natural.

Anyways, as far as acoustical info? How into it are you willing to get? I think this thread started by mas would be a good place to start:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/796165.aspx

It's kinda pending on new info, but there's already a lot there to digest.

Oh, one more thing....the carpet on the floor didn't make a hill of beans of difference...we had it laying around and figured I would try it just to satisfy a curiousity.

I was actually going to ask about that. My wife resists the idea of carpeting the embryonic HT room. I assume that "real" carpet with pad would make a difference?

Probably not too much of a difference. Half the carpet we put down was of the thick padded variety. The problem is that the wavelengths of sound are simply too large and don't get effectively attenuated. In fact, the rule of thumb is a surface at least 1/4 wavelength in thickness. So to attenuate "down" to 10kHz, you're going to need a material at least .3" thick and twice that for 5kHz. You're talking a really plush carpet to get down into the audible range - and even then you gotta hope the carpet doesn't reflect much.

Yep. You have to have a retro house with 4" shag before it will make an audible difference, especially in a room like theirs with all the other concrete\brick. Glad you cleared the air.

Did you try setting up the room on a diagonal? With the square dimensions, I would have been inclined to attempt it.

Going diagonal did cross our mind, but it wasn't feasible and for the short amount of time we had it set up it didn't sound very good either. The mounting points for acoustical treatment made this direction more feasible too.

We were also limited by the location for the screen and the general flow of traffic in the room...basically kinda stuck with the layout.