A Box At My front Door

shinerman

Got home tonight and low and behold, a box at my front door delivered by Fed - Ex.............. and to my surprise was a box from ALK [:D] New x-overs could it be [:D]. To my delight thats exactly what it be[;)] So I pulled out the old and installed the new and have not stop listening for the last 5 hours..............made the belles sound like new [Y][Y] This has got to be the best mod to the system so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Al (ALK), a job well done ,

Carson

Brad, Still learning here as well. But made the decision from talking with Al and and reading posts of others who have his universal crossovers. Also, I'm one step closer to upgrading to an extreme slope crossover, if I decide to go that way later. To me this was a great choice, the belles have never sounded so good. The AB network was in the belles when I purchased about 6 months ago. I would highly suggest going with one of Al's crossovers.......

Shinerman,

What is your understanding of the difference between the universal and the extreme? Have you heard the two? I've got a NOS stereo unit on order and I need a preamp so I'm going to go for a new Merlin or a used Peach or Blueberry. After I've paid for that, the crossover upgrade is next on my list and if I ccan swing it, the ALK's are the way to go, for fully horn loaded Klipsch Heritage speakers, from what I've gleaned here on the forum.

Brad, first of all - congrats on your upcoming choice of one of Mark's products. I've had a Peach for about two years, and a good friend of mine, Sheltie Dave, has a Blueberry and a Merlin - needless to say I think all three pre pros are outstanding - and any would make a fine choice.

I've also owned a pair of Al's Universals for awhile now. I ran them first in my Belles, and after getting Klipschorns - well, they were immediately moved to the big daddies. I have never heard a pair of Al's Extreme Slope networks, but I can tell you what I know and what other peoples' impressions have been in here.

First, what are your listening preferences? Mostly lower to medium volume - with loud - at times. Or do you like to push the volume often - or need to fill a bigger room (which ends up requiring more volume to do the same)?

You have three options. Al's Universals, then Al's partial extreme slope network, somewhat similar to the Universal on the lower end (woofer to squawker) but with an extreme slope between the upper end of the squawker and the lower end of the tweeter) the AP12-500, ES5800 combo, and then the full shebang - Al's full extreme slope network. To my ears, the Universal has a good compromise of having dynamics and detail at lower volume with some ability to handle higher spls, but it has its limits. Al's partial extreme slope would be smoother on the very top end - even up to the highest volumes. Al's extreme slope networks would be smoother on the bottom end and the top end - even up to the upmost volumes.

One of the advantages of extreme slopes is that they eliminate driver overlap - which helps alleviate some of the hash or fuzz you hear - and especially at higher volumes There are also some advantages in imaging. On the other hand, some have said that the extreme slope networks are not as dynamic at lower volumes - and take a bit to really open up.

Personally, I recently came to a crossroads. I briefly flirted with upgrading my networks to go to better higher volume handling (e.g. extreme slopes). But, I was leery about losing the fantastic dynamics at lower to medium volumes. In the end, I ended up borrowing a friend's pair of NosValves VRDs, and listening to them in my system - told me that I could get pretty high volume - still cleanly - and even with ALK Universals. So, I have decided to keep my Universals for now.

Finally, there is cost. Universals run almost six bills, the partial extreme slop combo runs about seven bills, and I think (but check) the full extreme slope for Belles would be about $1,100.

Ultimately, it comes down to compromise because I do not think any network is perfect - in every single area. And------what do you primarily want from your crossovers?

Carl.

BTW, Shinerman - congrats on your Universals.....

Brad,

I have personaly not listened to the extreme slope crossovers. I really took the advice from the people here on the forum and from reading posts. But I believe that the choice I made was a damn good choice!!!!!!! Cjgeraci makes some really good points on the difference of the crossovers than I could ever make, since my only comparison is the difference in the universal vs the AB that was in the belles. I too, have recently purchased a pair of Khorn's which I will be picking up next weekend. They have DeanG crossovers in them and am very excited about listening to these.......who knows, I might invest in somemore ALK's for the Khorns. BTW, your choice on the amp, let me know what you think when you get them. My choice, when looking for a new amp was between Craigs VRD's and some Mac's. I did chose the Mac (MC 275) but am still open on the possibiltiy of getting some VRD's, have heard alot of good things!!!!!!!!!!! .Blueberry X (with cream) would be my choice, especially if your going to be using a turntable. Have one, and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and can't wait to hear the choices you make...............Let us know!!!!!!!!!!

Shinerman

I am really new to this because i don't even have heritage speakers yet, but i mainly saw the price of the crossovers, and i was just wondering what makes them so expensive. I'm interested in what goes into a pair of crossovers.

BTW, it sounds like you're happy with your purchase, so i'm glad it made a big audio improvement. I've read about others that buy crossovers and how they make a big difference.

Caps, coils, autoformers, etc. - usually go into crossovers. Bear in mind that Al Klappenberger's original and aftermarket designs, in my opinion, improve on the performance of the design of stock Klipsch crossovers. So you are paying for the design and for more parts, and for more number of complex parts than were usually found in stock Klipsch crossovers. Additionally, these crossovers usually require higher quality caps - which cost more than some standard caps. Some people can hear the sonic differences in the quality of the caps, and I am one of them. In comparison, one could get Bob Crites to freshen up a used pair of stock Klipsch A or AA networks for about 100-150. That is freshening up with new caps of lesser quality than Al uses - and is using the stock Klipsch design - and the rest of the parts of the networks. Bob also sells Klipsch A and AA replacement networks, which are based on the original Klipsch design with total new parts for about 200-300 bucks. Dean also still builds networks, and again, prices vary depending on complexity and cap/part quality. All are great options, and it just depends on what you are looking for in a pair of crossovers.

Carl.

Caps and reistors..............hell, I don't know, all I know is that they sound damn good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not the expert on this stuff, just know what I like when I hear it and if that means spending some bucks to find out..... I will. Alk, Deang, and Bec are on here often and they all do crossovers, you will need to ask them..... (as far as tech stuff) and I'm sure there are others on here that can explain more than I can.......I'm just a newbie, but trying to lean!! Have owned and listen to Klipsch speakers for many years and never realized that the oldrt speakers need a tune up now and then. This is what the doctor ordered. Im lookin into getting new crossovers for my KG 4's and Fortes as well, maybe even doing the same for my KG 2's.This madness never seems to end.........just bought a pair of Khorns last week and will be picking up next weekend............can't wait (have DeanG crossovers)

Pick up a pair (Heritage) and join the maddness [Y]