A Receiver for my RF-3's

Blackwelder

I've owned rf-3's for about a year now but I REALLY need a new receiver. I'm looking to spend at most U.S.$500 or 600. The brands I like are Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer Elite. What would you guys recommend? Do any of you have RF-3's with any of the receiver brands I have mentioned? The receiver must have DD and DTS. Thanks for your help.

i have been wanting to purchase the Rf-3's my self, the reciever i was recommended was the Denon 2802, DD, DTS, Prologic II and much more, its 90 watts x 6 channels, i think this reciever should do, you can find it as low as 499 on yahoo shopping. all you gotta do it look

• Like 1

u may want to also add marantz to your demo list. i haven't heard the new ones but like the sr6200 is in your price range. i really like/liked the sound of the sr8000 w/ my rf-3. tamed the highs nicely. a-b'd it against some of those u mentioned. assuming the new marantz have a similar sound. all those nice new features for sure.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I have the Denon 2801 (last year's model). I really like this receiver. Very musical for a receiver in its price category. Great DD and DTS processing too.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha

Look at Technics? I know its not one of the other brands you mentioned, but it sounds nice with RF3's. There is a hiss at higher volumes, the RF3's dont use a ton of power, and you may put up with it.

I will probibly get that as my firs reciever, until I can get something really nice. Iv never really liked "high end middle of the line type stuff.."

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

Thanks for all your help guys. I looked up some stuff on the Denon 2802. It looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone want to sell me one?

As for the guy considering getting rf-3's, go for it. They are awesome. Imagine my joy when I came home from classes one day and found 2 HUGE boxes sitting in my dorm room. Needless to say the sound complaints started rolling in that night. They sound awesome, even with my very crappy receiver. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to get the rc-3 and rs-3's, maybe even the ksw-12. Maybe in a few years I'll use the rf-3's as my rears and get some rf-7's.

Take another look at the Pioneer Elite. If you are not looking to do 6.1/7.1 right away, but want to have the option in the future, it is an excellent value. I think you will find better, smoother sound quality, and better control with the Pioneer. You have the bass peak level control, which means that when you get a sub , it will never distort. You can control the levels within 0.5db instead of full db with the Denon. It is the only receiver you mentioned that is THX certified within your budget, Oh and did I mention, the sound quality will be better than with the 2802.