What should I upgrade, amp or receiver?

2cobras

That's an odd combo,the Denon has to go,don't waste the Sunfire on it,it's a great amp.I've owned several Denons(38xx) nice and reliable but forget it for hifi.You need a good prepro,budget will dictate whats the best for the money

That's an odd combo,the Denon has to go,don't waste the Sunfire on it,it's a great amp.I've owned several Denons(38xx) nice and reliable but forget it for hifi.You need a good prepro,budget will dictate whats the best for the money

Thanks, thats what I was thinking also. I just wanted to hear it from someone more qualified.
Any suggestions on a prepro? (up to $1,500)

The only little problem is many companies are coming out with new units soon or later in the year.There are several around $1500 or less,the Outlaw 990 is an outstanding unit,the Rotel 1068 is very nice.There are often great deals used where you can get a B&k etc.for just over $1k.I personally would look at Emotiva too as they offer a lot for the money new with 5yr warranty.They also will give you 40% off the next prepro you purchase when you want to upgrade.You also should post in general questions or ht for more replies

The only little problem is many companies are coming out with new units soon or later in the year.There are several around $1500 or less,the Outlaw 990 is an outstanding unit,the Rotel 1068 is very nice.There are often great deals used where you can get a B&k etc.for just over $1k.I personally would look at Emotiva too as they offer a lot for the money new with 5yr warranty.They also will give you 40% off the next prepro you purchase when you want to upgrade.You also should post in general questions or ht for more replies

Thanks Fish for all your help. I am debating on the Outlaw 990 , is the 990 really worth the extra cash over the 970?

Yes,you'd want the 990 with your amp.I just saw one sell used a few days ago for $800,with transferable warranty that's a pretty good deal.I had a 990 for a while and it was very nice all around with good 2ch to boot.At that price you'll get most of your investment back if you move on later.

I believe Fish said a couple of weeks ago he gives Outlaw a slight edge.

That's right,990 vs the lmc1, slight edge in overall sound to the 990.It should be noted though,the 990 is about $1100 and the lmc1 is $499 delivered,making the lmc1 a super deal for the budget minded with good music a must(and very nice looks/build).If one were to compare a higher model of the Emo line to the 990 I suspect the Emo would do very well.For $500 a guy/gal can only expect so much,Emo will give you your money's worth +,as does Outlaw.

Sherwood Newcastle is under advertised and underapreciated. Mine has performed flawlessly for 5 years.

SN puts more ino the design and build than most companies, they also build for other companies. Used to be made in South Korea which i prefer over comunist China.

Used B&K or Parasound or Arcam would be considerations.