My AppleTV

justin_tx_16

Justin your apple tv sounds realy cool. I like your setup Heresy's are great speakers. That's what i'm running now. Man if I had high speed internet, AND you could browse the net I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat! Can you browse the net? How about checking out Flash vid. like You Tube?

Actually if I do recall correctly, the resolution of the 30" is 2048 x 1536. This when the math is done out looks like this: 2048 x 1536 x 85 (refresh rate) = 267.4mhz. DVI is 165mhz so it can actually only support 1600 x 1200 x 85, which comes to 163.2mhz. Graphic cards an use a simple compression scheme that can reduce the used bandwidth of an image called blanking elimination. Blanking is used in CRT screens as the electron gun retraces to the top of the screen for the next frame to be drawn. This takes up 30% of the monitors time, and since DVI was designed with CRTs in mind, this was added to the spec. Eliminating this cuts about 5-10% of the bandwidth usage, but it still doesn't allow for much improvement in the resolutions. (1920x1200x60) There are two common ways to get past the bandwidth issue. One is to drop out of digital mode and use the graphic card's RAMDAC to send an analog signal through the DVI cable to the monitor. This can cause some image quality loss. The other way is to use a dual link DVI connection. This can be either one dual link cable or in some older cases, two separate single link cables.

Actually if I do recall correctly, the resolution of the 30" is 2048 x 1536. This when the math is done out looks like this: 2048 x 1536 x 85 (refresh rate) = 267.4mhz. DVI is 165mhz so it can actually only support 1600 x 1200 x 80, which comes to 163.2mhz. Graphic cards an use a simple compression scheme that can reduce the used bandwidth of an image called blanking elimination. Blanking is used in CRT screens as the electron gun retraces to the top of the screen for the next frame to be drawn. This takes up 30% of the monitors time, and since DVI was designed with CRTs in mind, this was added to the spec. Eliminating this cuts about 5-10% of the bandwidth, but it still doesn't allow for much improvement in the resolutions. (1920x1200x60) There are two common ways to get past the bandwidth issue. One is to drop out of digital mode and use the graphic card's RAMDAC to send an analog signal through the DVI cable to the monitor. This can cause some image quality loss. The other way is to use a dual link DVI connection. This can be either one dual link cable or in some older cases, two separate single link cables.

Its been a while since I remembed the specs and thanks for the clarification. I was too lazy to look it up. But the computer monitor 30 inch screen is a lot different from a tv screen.