New Reference series vs. Older Reference Series?

Blazemaster

I am currently running a new Reference series setup consists of RF82s and RC64 and RS52. I find that the dialogue and voices coming from the RC64 is very siblant on moderate to higher volumes. Recently I've had the chance to talk to someone that have owned the older reference series with RF7s and RC7s and he told me that he still prefer the older series for the clarity that the newer series cannot touch. He also mentioned that the RC7s doesn't have the problem that I've experienced with the RC64. He is running the older Reference, but he have had the RC64 also, which he sold recently because he felt the same way about the RC64 like I did. Can someone with more experiences with Klipsch shed some light on this matter? Is the older Reference series better than the newer? If so, please give more details in the particular ways that it's better. If not, please let me know the advantages of the newer reference. Thanks.

My take on this is.

1. Buy/borrow a the RC 7 and see if you also notice the difference. If you buy and don't like it, I am sure you'd get your money back on resale.

2. Everything I've read on the RF 7 is that they are power hungry...........haven't heard this about the RF 82 though.........

3. Seems like you only need the center change to have a "better" system.

From what I've heard others say and experienced myself in an in-store demo is that the new Reference series (RF-83, 82, etc) speakers are smoother overall than the previous ones (RF-7, 5, etc). What are you using for your components? Your source and your receiver/amp will play a large part in how your speakers sound.

I've got RF82s with the RC62 center.  No problems here.  The dialog is excellent.  The horn on the RC64 is really not a match for the RF82.  I matches the horn on the RF63 and RF83.  I don't know if this mismatch is the problem or not.  However, folks on this forum rave about the RC64.

Lou

The RC-7 will not provide the change you are seeking. If you find the RC-64 too sibilant, the RC-7 will be a bigger problem. I'm very familiar with the sound of both. If the 64 sounds harsh, check your upstream components. It should not sound harsh.

I'm using a simple Rotel RSP1066 with 1075 preamp and amp combo as the main components. The source components that I use are Toshiba HDA1 and PS3, and watch mainly movies. I'm still in the process of adding acoustic treatments within the room and all cables are by Tara Labs(known to be more revealing). I understand that I can get some cables that does more of timbre shading, but don't think the difference will justify the cost of other cables. Maybe absorption panels will hide some of the sibilance that I'm hearing with the RC64.

Are you running a carpet in your room? That made a huge difference for me as far as Klipsch speakers were concerned. I am betting that the problem lies with either your source components or your room more than the RC-64, which as BobG mentioned should be particulalry better at reducing sibilance than the RC-7.