RF-7 wiring in there boxes

RLM

I have question on The RF-7 wiring in there boxes. They are 8 ohm and I want to bring them down to 4 ohm, so I can get more power out of my amp, is this possible by changing there wiring to parallel instead of series. Can anyone give me advise or am I shooting in the dark.

Actually the RF-7 drops down to around 2.8 ohms at a couple points across the frequency spectrum. I'd advise in not re-wiring anything since they are a very difficult speaker for most amps to drive right out of the box.

The ohm rating of a speaker is not a linear rating that stays the same at all frequencies, most speakers have huge peaks and valleys in their ohm resistance from single digits to over 100 ohms.

Actually the RF-7 drops down to around 2.8 ohms at a couple points across the frequency spectrum. I'd advise in not re-wiring anything since they are a very difficult speaker for most amps to drive right out of the box.

The ohm rating of a speaker is not a linear rating that stays the same at all frequencies, most speakers have huge peaks and valleys in their ohm resistance from single digits to over 100 ohms.

You couldn't be more correct. I had trouble driving my pair with a 150 watt Marantz at high levels without the clipping lights comming on. I never could understand it the SPL level is high but when heavy bass was needed they would drain an amp flat.

I clipped my QSC driving my RF3II's, and it is rated to do 550 wpc into 8 ohm stereo ( 20 - 20khz ) 600 at 1khz. I can say that they still sounded pretty darn good and held up well. I killed a tweeter after about a half hour marathon, but I found the treble to be boosted in my Marantz AVR. Abuse... pure and simple.

That amp never got hot enough to cycle the fan at high speed.... even at this level. Dynamics were uh... dynamic. Well recorded kick drum with little compression would light up the clip lights, while the average level ( as measured with a rat shack LED power level meter was about 10 watts ) In an instant, the LED's would register 200wpc, ( highest the meter goes ), then back down to 10wpc.

QSC is a company who makes some serious amps that are mainly for professional use but can many times be used in home applications for power hungry speakers such as RF-7s. Their PLX series seems to be the best for home use. Every now and then someone on here sells one and you can also find them on eBay or probably AudiogoN.