New Denon with Khorns

IndyKlipschFan

Ok finally switched from Yamaha to Dennon and OMG the sound is warmer and feels great.

Home theatre setup: K horns, 2 pairs of kg 1.5's and a kv3 center channel. ( I know, time to upgrade some of these too..LOL.. But a great improvement) And a 51 inch big screen TV.

Now at 40 yrs old, can I figure out how to hook everything up. LOL

Denon AVR-3802

Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processor 7 Channels equal power amplifier section 110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) 150 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD) Analog Devices 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover(80,100,120Hz) 2 sets component video inputs, compatible with wideband (480p, 720p, 1080i) response for progressive DVD, DTV 5 sets composite and "S" video inputs 7.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) input for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio) 5 & 7 Channel Stereo Personal Memory Plus 4 assignable digital inputs Optical digital output 9 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner Multi-Zone 1 stereo pre-amp level audio outputs, fixed or variable level Power Amplifier Assign function, lets you assign 2 of the 7 amp channels to drive second zone speakers directly LCD dot-matrix programmable/learning remote features TV, VCR, DVD codes from other manufacturers; backlighting main function keys Dimensions: 17.1"w x 6.7"h x 16.4"d

Congratulations on dumping that Yamaha, Indy.

I was damn glad to get rid of mine. When I bought my new intetgrated a few months ago,I had it narrowed down to a Denon (forgot the model#) and the Arcam A-75. I bought The Arcam but it has only 50 watts P.C. but it sounds fantastic and is very detailed with a huge glorious soundstage. (I'm sure the RF-3s make a large contribution)

I still wonder how that good Denon would have sounded though.

Great choice!:-)

Now if you want to improve on that sound even more,find a Denon POA-2800.I think '96 was the last year.

It's a 200 X 2 "Optical Class A".The improvement at low volume levels was great and the dynamics were improved.I have one to my bi-wired '77 K-Horns(w/ALKs)and one to my bi-wired modified Heresy.

I'm using a 3801.

Indy.

Why did you not like the yamaha? I am 99.999% sure I will be buying a yamaha htr-5460. Is there anything I need to know about it.? Thanks. I was also looking at the Denon avr-1801 or 1802 but the power is way less. (8 ohm)

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

First off let me say I have been a huge supporter of Yamaha for years. I Still own a Yamaho 610 II amp and separate tuner..from God knows how long ago that works and sounds great. ( One of the few purchases as a kid that was the right choice. I saved I am not sure how many months for that one too.) So, that being said...

I think the only way to say it is when you listen to electronic music (new age, keys, drums, even some top 40 it is hard to explain, but it sounds harsh or tinty.) I bought the top of the line Yamaha, and still own it, the AV2070. In it's day, it had all the incredible Yamaha rooms..which after a while you might use them every once in a while. Seven speaker surround, and Dolby Pro Logic. ( This was just before Dolby Digital, thx, dts etc etc.) I think they came out with a unit called a DDP-2 processor you could add later but in 6 months on Ebay I can't find one. Although I guess would upgrade it somewhat.

I demo'ed both pieces of equipment ( Yamaha vs Denon at the same loudness levels, the same music, and the same speakers.) To me...Just felt warmer and the music separation and feeling was more lifelike. Well, thats my 2 cents. Good luck!!!!

I have been happy with the tone of my Denon AVR 2700 receiver's amps and circuitry. I only fault it because the amps have no "guts". I added a Rotel 200 watt amp which seemed to help things out. Denon preamp section seems clean too. Hopefully your AVR-3802 won't seem winded during complex musical passages like the 85 watts on my 2700 sometimes does.

I agree with your characterization of the Yamaha sound (though I have never owned one myself). I have found the Denon amps to have a much sweeter sound than Yamaha, Marantz and ADCOM (though Adcom has oodles of power and can sound sweet in some areas). NAD and Sony come closer, but are quite different in character from the Denon (NAD is Mellow with emphasis on bass and a significant power band, Sony has nice sweet mid & upper range with less bass and lacks overall power). If you ever find that the Denon's 110 watts isn't strong enough, the Rotel amps have a sweet sound that goes well with the Denon (and is cleaner sounding too).

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

This message has been edited by cc1091 on 12-13-2001 at 01:30 AM