considering a Onkyo TX-DS595...any thoughts?

48n123w

I've found an Onkyo TX-DS595 used for CDN$200 (USD$175) - 2001, 5.1 DTS, 96/24, 75Wx5 @0.08 THD

I'm a bit concerned of the age and it doesn't have DTS-ES. I'm not planning to go past 5.1 and mostly play movies.

Should I go for this or pass? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Since you ask for thoughts,I'll give ya mine.I'd pass,I bought a 702(about 100x7 on paper) for my garage,ccity closeout,$200.After a few months it developed a short in the left rear channel.That's not the reason I'd pass,although it's another one.I hooked it to my klf20's when I bought it,slightly bright and not really solid on a set of speakers much less picky than the rfs.It does sound slightly better than the cheaper Pioneers,8xx etc..I'd buy a used HK,Denon or the 399 msrp(300 street?) Yamaha that's been favorably reviewed by audioholics.

forty8n123w

pass on it.

Models prior to the TX-DS939 had issues with heat control. There is a fan that is supposed to kick in when the amp gets hot. problem is there was a cheap capacitor that critical pathed the process. After a few years, folks started to report the fan did not come on anymore. This created early amp failure because the driver board was mounted right on top of the output stage heat sinks. If the fan does not come one....the heat goes up into the driver board instead of out of the amp.

I used to have a TXDS 797 that I loved. I never heard of the fan issue, but I'm not doubting it. I would pass on it. I think you may get 50-60WPC when all channels are driven.

If your current amp has pre outs I would save and look for a nice multi channel outboard amp. You could get a 75WPC fairly reasonable, and the difference will astound you!

Skinny of it is, you may be upgrading only slightly, which is conducive to another slight upgrade. These types of moves cost LOTS of money!

Phil