I think I'm gonna buy a Mac...

ibanezhater

Are you referring to Parallels or Boot Camp? If so, these packages are sold separately and not included.

BTW, I will be bitting the bullet and getting a Mac Pro next month. It is either do a major system upgrade to use Vista or make the jump to MacOS. If you haven't heard, Leopard, MacOS 10.5, has been delayed until October. The news is somewhere on Apple's web site.

Enjoy life!
Steven

If you want to run Windows on your Mac, you supply it - and it need not be Vista.

Also, Boot camp is only effective for a dual boot system - a pain in the rear from my perspective.

For concurrent operation - having more than one OS running at the same time with a window you can actively access - you want either Parallel or VMWare. depending upon your usage, i might suggest VMWare over parallel, although Parallel is fine for casual usage.

VMWare gives you many more options, as well as their library of pre-defined/pre-configured virtual machines available for downloading from their website.

With the virtual machine application, you can create virtual machines of essentially any OS that will run on the x86 platform. This includes MS's products, Linux, BSD, etc., in addition to OSX. Also, without getting into the nitty gritty of virtual machines, backups, images, and restoration are a snap, as the machines are a folder. And if nothing else, you might simply decide to install a 'spare' image of the OS (such as XP) and share the resources and if/when your primary copy goes south, you have a backup already in place. Its a wonderful fail safe - as well as having a Knoppix disk available to boot from in order to access your resources as necessary.

But then the various configurations and options are far beyond the scope of this post...but I hope I have wet your appetite for the possible...

With the Mac you get a great computer even if all you want to do is to run Windows. (Yup, you read that right!) But think of it as a PC that does far more and gives you greater options limited by what YOU choose to do, rather than having the hardware tell you you 'can't'.

If you want to run Windows on your Mac, you supply it - and it need not be Vista.

Also, Boot camp is only effective for a dual boot system - a pain in the rear from my perspective.

For concurrent operation - having more than one OS running at the same time with a window you can actively access - you want either Parallel or VMWare. depending upon your usage, i might suggest VMWare over parallel, although Parallel is fine for casual usage.

VMWare gives you many more options, as well as their library of pre-defined/pre-configured virtual machines available for downloading from their website.

With the virtual machine application, you can create virtual machines of essentially any OS that will run on the x86 platform. This includes MS's products, Linux, BSD, etc., in addition to OSX. Also, without getting into the nitty gritty of virtual machines, backups, images, and restoration are a snap, as the machines are a folder. And if nothing else, you might simply decide to install a 'spare' image of the OS (such as XP) and share the resources and if/when your primary copy goes south, you have a backup already in place. Its a wonderful fail safe - as well as having a Knoppix disk available to boot from in order to access your resources as necessary.

But then the various configurations and options are far beyond the scope of this post...but I hope I have wet your appetite for the possible...

With the Mac you get a great computer even if all you want to do is to run Windows. (Yup, you read that right!) But think of it as a PC that does far more and gives you greater options limited by what YOU choose to do, rather than having the hardware tell you you 'can't'.

For what I want to do with the Mac, I don't see myself NEEDING Windows or Vista. Music, digital photos, surfing the net, Quiken (Mac version), writing documents, and that's about it.

BTW, I heard that Vista blows.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying a mac also and was just about to post a question whether I should or not. I would love to try the operating system, but man for the the scratch they charge you can build a pc that would destroy it. Still it wouldn't have that slick OS I want to try so badly. Well their advertisements make it sound pretty sweet I have yet to personally try one. I spent some time today reading up on Mac 101.