Just me or do the KSF 8.5s sound horrid?!?

Farrow

Ok,before anyone attacks.....

I picked up a pair of KSF 8.5s to play around with/test out... Now, I've ran music thru them for a few days now and they still sound horrid... I'm getting some crackle here and there, and the tweeter seems to be making my ears bleed (not really ofcourse...but it is pretty bad...sustained high pitch irritation!) And some things just sound like hell......for instance the chorus on that alicia keys song sounds HORRID, it completely breaks up. (other things do as well...and they don't when i'm using my other speakers so it isn't the recordings or the wire...to name a few songs that break up pretty bad...3 o' clock blues...anything with an electric guitar!...and pretty much any music with a chorus...)

I don't know if this set is defective or what...but my quintets sound better..scratch that...MY PROMEDIAS SOUND BETTER! Granted these pick up crazy detail on some recordings.....but on anything that has alot going on they sound like hell.

Definately think i'm taking them back. But i'd like to hear some opinions... Defective?? I mean come on... I"VE HEARD BOSE SPEAKERS THAT SOUND BETTER!

*Update........ran down and got another set....sound much better...

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 12-13-2001 at 03:52 PM

Hey man, I'm having some of the same problems. I am really not impressed with these speakers for music. HT sounds great but music, especially rock, sounds like sh*&. I've run my 8.5's since Sunday and they are still producing questionable quality. After listening in the same room with the volume set to a moderate level I end up with a headache.

I am really trying to love these speakers, especially at $300 but I think I will return them this weekend.

ps...I've worked with speaker placement, sub adjustment, and receiver adjustment and they just are not impressing me.

cwm13.gif

Just picked up a pair myself to replace a pair of KSB 3.1 monitors. While I've only been using them a few weeks and they are barely broken in, I've not experienced the the characteristics you describe - certainly they sound fuller than the quintets alone. You note that you've only used them a few days, give them some time to break in more thoroughly and they should mellow a bit. Additionally, I do notice that placement does have a large impact on sound, especially bass boominess. Thus far, I'm pretty happy with them, but would like to step up to some RF-3s at some point..

At the price these are running on clearance, one can't fault them too badly.

cwm12.gif

Ok, i'm still getting distortion.... Sounds like a rattle almost?... Basically it sounds horrible. I don't hear it with the quints hooked up to its gotta be the speakers? For Klipsch speakers they have VERY questionable quality.... I saw some other speakers for around the same price that sounded way better...... for instance the Mirage FRX5s.

*just wanted to clearify better....um....well.......they don't rattle with horrible distortion (breaking up...crackeling....rattle)!

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 12-14-2001 at 07:53 PM

OK....some recording sound fine some are loaded with distortion.... but none of them have distorion on the quintets?!?! The ksf 8.5s are so much more sensative than the quintets that they throw every little blip in your face??? SOO CONFUSED!

**ok, been messing around with my setup for a couple hours now....i'm begginning to think its my cds...heh....my mp3 player sounds fine..my dvd and computer both sound horrible!

cwm42.gif

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 12-14-2001 at 09:24 PM

I have the 8.5s as mains and I think for the price they sound great. I've pushed them to their limits and they still don't sound harsh to me. They bring out all of the little things on good recordings. I also think they're pretty solid buildwise. I'm guessing it's either the CD player like you say or possibly they've been damaged. Wish I could be more help

I'm not sure! I'm pretty damn confused!!!

It almost seems like only certain frequencies are getting distorted...mabey its a bad crossover? Or something in my reciever?

The woofers seem to be handeling the midrange/lower frequencies perfectly well..

The tweeters are handeling flutes and accoustic guitars and such perfectly......but certain notes distort horribly, the distortion appears to be coming from the tweeters...but as i said, some notes play perfect... for instance, Thelonius Monk - Blue Monk plays perfect and then BB King - 3 O' clock blues will distort horribly! *note that, that recording does not distort horribly on the quintets*

And here is a wierd one... Alicia Keys - Fallin plays perfectly fine off my mp3 player, and distorts horribly off both my dvd player and my computers digital output. The first half of the song will play fine...but when the chorus kicks in its distorts HORRIBLY. (I have tryed all of these songs from tracks burned, mp3s played off my archos jukebox, and straight out of my audigys digital out.)

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 12-15-2001 at 05:38 PM

I've only had the 8.5s for about three weeks now, but have had no distortion problems at all. I'm running an Integra A/V receiver along w/ Monster interconnects and cables. The speakers would be considered to be broken in by now - they have incredible clarity at this price point.

Note, my musical tastes include blues, classic rock, some jazz and classic, as well as HT duty - so they've been through the musical guantlet so to speak. A bit bright if you crank them, but they do well for Dire Straights, SRV, Neil Young, Allmans, etc..