How do I play my MP3s and streaming audio through my system?

ibanezhater

If I may comment.

It seems to me that ib is only wondering whether a computer audio output can be hooked up to a classic "ye olde vacuum tube" audio system. Or anything similar. He is just not going into wireless connections.

So, of course, yes. All you need is the connector which is typically a mini phone plug (like on the end of modern head phones) to RCA (which goes into an input jack on the receiver or pre-amp). There is nothing more complicated than that needed.

I see the Monster brand connectors at the grocery store, here in Chicago, for sale. I've had problems with these types. The collar on the RCA is beautiful but a menace. It is too stiff mechanically. Pushing it on to a jack is difficult and pulling it off may damage the jack.

If you go to Radio Shack you can get a cheapo equivalent which is less prone to causing damage. These also are included with portable CD players so maybe ib has one in a drawer of left over connectors. They all work the same. The electrons can't tell the difference.

There are outboard processors but I have doubts ib need such for this first adventure.

My thought is that you, ib, should experiment with the computer aspects of audio storage with your new Mac and getting programming off the 'net. There is a lot of interesting stuff out there. They can all be heard though your audio system with that simple wire connection.

ib may be very old fashion. Smile.

Let me suggest you first get the Mac fired up and make the wire connections to your system. Then go to www.wdcb.org at 1 pm Central time on Saturday. You might have to load "Real Player" but it is probably in there with the Mac software. Then listen to old time radio, on the tubes. It will be a rewarding start to the project.

Gil

Gil

Hi Gil,

Yep, you got it right. I am not looking to create a wireless network, just want to listen to streaming live Dead shows on the internet, MP3s, burned CDs, Pandora, Music Match, internet radio, etc., through an old school tubed hi fi. Yep, just some cables and I will be good to go.

One concern: should I not even bother buying a high end CD player if I will be using the Mac's CD player? If I added an external DAC and used the Mac as a transport, would it noticeably better the sound?

ib,

You can get excellent sound quality from your computer. There are a few important configuration rules for best SQ--one is:

Don't use the digital volume control in iTunes (or the operating system), set them both to 100%--and use the analog vol. control after the DAC (in your case I think you mentioned a Blueberry).

Mark

ib,

You can get excellent sound quality from your computer. There are a few important configuration rules for best SQ--one is:

Don't use the digital volume control in iTunes (or the operating system), set them both to 100%--and use the analog vol. control after the DAC (in your case I think you mentioned a Blueberry).

Mark

Hi Mark,

Let's assume I don't buy a high end CD player, and instead use the Mac's CD player as a transport, and a high quality DAC. OK, adding the DAC adds one more piece of hardware, and another question: how is the DAC connected? Do I connect the DAC to the Mac, and still run a cable from the Mac's headphone jack to the RCA aux input in the preamp? Or is there another, more efficient way of connecting this stuff?

I would miss having a remote control if I were not to buy another CD player - or I could just use the piece of crap Sony mega changer I have now, and alternate using the DAC to the computer and the DAC to the Sony?

Let's assume I don't buy a high end CD player, and instead use the Mac's CD player as a transport, and a high quality DAC. OK, adding the DAC adds one more piece of hardware, and another question: how is the DAC connected? Do I connect the DAC to the Mac, and still run a cable from the Mac's headphone jack to the RCA aux input in the preamp? Or is there another, more efficient way of connecting this stuff?

I would miss having a remote control if I were not to buy another CD player - or I could just use the piece of crap Sony mega changer I have now, and alternate using the DAC to the computer and the DAC to the Sony?

To hook up a DAC in your system, you first have to plug the optical output on the Mac to the optical input on the DAC. You then run regular two-channel Right/Left RCA cables (the black and red plugs) from the DAC to the appropriate input on your pre-amp.

Hi Mark,

Hi,

I'm not a 'Mac' person but I can try to answer.... Remember, you don't need the DAC--at least initially. An external DAC can/will be higher quality but starting by using the MAC built in converter is always an option. So....assuming you want to use a good external DAC:

You need to get the digital signal out to the DAC. A Mac is very good in this regard because it comes with lots of digital output options: Firewire, USB, and the optical/SPDIF mini-cable thing (which is a mystery to me as a PC user). That gives you lots of options for DACs. Generally Firewire or USB would be better than optical (because optical generates more jitter)....IF the DAC is well designed ala Benchmark to be unaffected by jitter, line noise, emf, etc., then the connection options are less gear dependent. OTOH fewer DACs come with FW or USB. So you find a DAC you want and select the appropriate cable option. I have no idea what your budget is but here is one Firewire option: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniDacFW

Better would be the new Benchmark USB DAC--also more expensive. There are many cheaper options, easy to Google--and more expensive options.....

Re remote--there are lots of ways to do 'remote' once you have a computer as a source. There are remote touch screens, etc..... I know nothing about them--but they are out there and used in audio. A wireless laptop by your chair works too. If you eventually rip everything to your hard drive it makes your 'mega changer' obsolete.....

Mark

I'm pretty much with Rivendale.

It sounds to me you're ready to spend a lot of money and I wonder if it is not necessary, at least at first. So at least try out the MacIntosh's internal DAC for a while. You can always invest more later once you get settled in with the system. If anything, it may be better off to start simple and add layers of complexity (extra hardware) as you go on.

I would think that the Mac's internal DAC will be perfectly fine for CDs. You're stuck with their bit depth and sample rate.

People go to outboard or upgraded DACs for good technical reason. There can be increased bit depth and sample rates, MIDI components, more inputs and outputs, etc. But it does not seem to me that you'll be using those.

Maybe an outboard unit would have a better reconstruction filter but I don't know why Apple would be falling down on that in the first place.

This is not to challenge those here who like their more sophisticated DACs. Experimenting, hot rodding, pride of ownership, and tweeking is part of the fun.

Gil

To hook up a DAC in your system, you first have to plug the optical output on the Mac to the optical input on the DAC. You then run regular two-channel Right/Left RCA cables (the black and red plugs) from the DAC to the appropriate input on your pre-amp.

Thank you for the knowledge. If I play streaming Grateful Dead radio from the internet, will the DAC help with the sound, or is a DAC's performance limited to just CDs?

Thank you for the knowledge. If I play streaming Grateful Dead radio from the internet, will the DAC help with the sound, or is a DAC's performance limited to just CDs.

Those internet radio streams tend to use pretty high compression rates, thus being pretty low fidelity (I don't think I've seen any internet radio use greater than 128kbps, at least the ones that I've tried. It seems 64kbps to 96kbps tends to be the most common). That is necessary to maximize the bandwidth. To be honest, I doubt an outboard DAC would really improve the sound on internet radio streams all that much. I tend to agree with some of the other folks on here that you may be better off just skipping the DAC for now and see how just running off the Mac (using it's own DACs) sound. If you do opt to get an outboard DAC, I'd try to get one from a local source that will let you return it, if in the end you find it is not worth it.

BTW, since I do have a network installed in my house, I thus use this device - Roku SoundBridge M1000, to stream mp3's and internet radio (my favorite is Progged Radio). I have over 60 gigs of music stored on my server which is in another room of the house and I stream my music over my network through the SoundBridge. I have SlimServer installed on the server where my music is stored. You can stream directly from iTunes with this device as well, although it will not play any iTunes DRMed music (that is, music you bought through the iTunes Media Store, unless you apply any number of tricks/hacks that will strip the DRM out of it). I can control it from a web interface from any computer in my house, including my laptop via a wireless connection. I can also control the device directly with it's remote control. Friggan pretty sweet! It does have an optical output so I could plug it into an outboard DAC if I so chose, but I don't have a DAC right now (I may consider getting one in the future, when I have extra money to blow on more audio equipment, but to be honest, I'll get a new pre/pro to replace the Denon AVR3802 that I am currently using as a pre/pro before I bother with any outboard DACs).

sb-m1000-large.jpg

Thank you for the knowledge. If I play streaming Grateful Dead radio from the internet, will the DAC help with the sound, or is a DAC's performance limited to just CDs.

Those internet radio streams tend to use pretty high compression rates, thus being pretty low fidelity (I don't think I've seen any internet radio use greater than 128kbps, at least the ones that I've tried. It seems 64kbps to 96kbps tends to be the most common). That is necessary to maximize the bandwidth. To be honest, I doubt an outboard DAC would really improve the sound on internet radio streams all that much. I tend to agree with some of the other folks on here that you may be better off just skipping the DAC for now and see how just running off the Mac (using it's own DACs) sound. If you do opt to get an outboard DAC, I'd try to get one from a local source that will let you return it, if in the end you find it is not worth it.

BTW, since I do have a network installed in my house, I thus use this device - Roku SoundBridge M1000, to stream mp3's and internet radio (my favorite is Progged Radio). I have over 60 gigs of music stored on my server which is in another room of the house and I stream my music over my network through the SoundBridge. I have SlimServer installed on the server where my music is stored. You can stream directly from iTunes with this device as well, although it will not play any iTunes DRMed music (that is, music you bought through the iTunes Media Store, unless you apply any number of tricks/hacks that will strip the DRM out of it). I can control it from a web interface from any computer in my house, including my laptop via a wireless connection. I can also control the device directly with it's remote control. Friggan pretty sweet! It does have an optical output so I could plug it into an outboard DAC if I so chose, but I don't have a DAC right now (I may consider getting one in the future, when I have extra money to blow on more audio equipment, but to be honest, I'll get a new pre/pro to replace the Denon AVR3802 that I am currently using as a pre/pro before I bother with any outboard DACs).

sb-m1000-large.jpg

Thanks for the knowledge, man. I will take your advice and see how the built-in DAC on the Apple sounds. I guess it should be OK. The day I go wireless, I will look into the Roku and the Slim Devices units. Funny nobody mentioned Olive - they make the same WiFi stuff as the other two, right? Either that, or just stick with the built-in Airport on the iMac.

Well if you were on a PC platform I could tell you how I have 700 Gigs of WAV files on a server with 6 individual different simoustaneous audio feeds selectably available in several areas of the house including my 2 channel setup in digital all touchscreen controlled... But since you are on a Mac platform