How do I play my MP3s and streaming audio through my system?

ibanezhater

OK, I do not keep up with current technology, so this is new to me.

I am planning on buying a iMac desktop with built-in Airport. My shopping list also includes some old-school stuff: Blueberry, VRD stereo power amp, Heresys, etc. I see the convenience of being able to copy all my CDs onto the computer's hard drive, and being able to play streaming audio (Pandora, live Grateful Dead, Music Match, etc.), but I would like to hear it through my system and my future Heresys.

I know this is possible, but I am not sure how to do it. What do I need? The Mac will have preinstalled iTunes, plus the Airport? Do I just plug the computer into the Blueberry via the RCA jacks? Is this even possible? Will I need a separate DAC to hear these tunes? If I got a separate DAC, would it nullify the need for a high end CD player (Arcam, Rega, etc.)?

The system I plan on buying and building will be mainly for listening to records, with a CD player thrown in to listen to what CDs I currently own. I need to buy a new computer for home office work, and I was thinking about combining them.

So am I on the right track? Will I need to buy a SqueezeBox, or will the Airport be sufficient? Can the Blueberry allow either a Mac or a DAC to be plugged in? Won't I need an optical connection - and if I did, I guess I'd have to look at something solid state?

Jeez, this is becoming confusing!

I'm not a MacIntosh owner . . . but.

Just about about all desktop computers have some sort of a line level output. You can connect that to a stereo amp just like you would a CD player. Other devices, like Walkmen, have at least a headphone output which can be treated as a line level output (just start with the headphone volume at 1/4 to 1/3rd).

I would think your MacIntosh will have a CD player and DVD, so it might be best to hold out buying an additional one.

BTW, there is a computer section of the forum farther down the menu. You might try there.

Gil

I'm not a MacIntosh owner . . . but.

Just about about all desktop computers have some sort of a line level output. You can connect that to a stereo amp just like you would a CD player. Other devices, like Walkmen, have at least a headphone output which can be treated as a line level output (just start with the headphone volume at 1/4 to 1/3rd).

I would think your MacIntosh will have a CD player and DVD, so it might be best to hold out buying an additional one.

BTW, there is a computer section of the forum farther down the menu. You might try there.

Gil

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the computer forum.

I am planning on buying a iMac desktop with built-in Airport. My shopping list also includes some old-school stuff: Blueberry, VRD stereo power amp, Heresys, etc. I see the convenience of being able to copy all my CDs onto the computer's hard drive, and being able to play streaming audio (Pandora, live Grateful Dead, Music Match, etc.), but I would like to hear it through my system and my future Heresys.

I know this is possible, but I am not sure how to do it. What do I need? The Mac will have preinstalled iTunes, plus the Airport? Do I just plug the computer into the Blueberry via the RCA jacks? Is this even possible? Will I need a separate DAC to hear these tunes? If I got a separate DAC, would it nullify the need for a high end CD player (Arcam, Rega, etc.)?

The system I plan on buying and building will be mainly for listening to records, with a CD player thrown in to listen to what CDs I currently own. I need to buy a new computer for home office work, and I was thinking about combining them.

So am I on the right track? Will I need to buy a SqueezeBox, or will the Airport be sufficient? Can the Blueberry allow either a Mac or a DAC to be plugged in? Won't I need an optical connection - and if I did, I guess I'd have to look at something solid state?

I stream iTunes/Pandora/BBC Radio 3/etc to my system using an AirPort Express and Airfoil from Rouge Amoeba.

The AirPort Express has a line-out that I run to my AUX input on the amp with a mimi-to-RCA cable.

I stream iTunes/Pandora/BBC Radio 3/etc to my system using an AirPort Express and Airfoil from Rouge Amoeba.

The AirPort Express has a line-out that I run to my AUX input on the amp with a mimi-to-RCA cable.

What kind of software is Airfoil?

The iMac I want has Airport built in, so would that line-out be located somewhere on the Mac itself? And if so, would the line-out be able to be connected to a Blueberry, which is very "old school?"

I wouldn't get a Squeezebox.

We have a small cheap 250gb windows PC (boooo!) for our TV/stereo. It can draw info from any of our other computers including my iMac (yeaaahhh!), and listen using the HT bypass on the Peach. Sounds pretty darned good.Hey, why don't you look into AppleTV? (there's a thread on it in 'General'. That might be perfect for you and it's SO hackable to the point where you could put OS X on it. It just seems not the right time to invest bigger bucks into this right now. So many things on the verge of happening IMO.

I wouldn't get a Squeezebox.

We have a small cheap 250gb windows PC (boooo!) for our TV/stereo. It can draw info from any of our other computers including my iMac (yeaaahhh!), and listen using the HT bypass on the Peach. Sounds pretty darned good.Hey, why don't you look into AppleTV? (there's a thread on it in 'General'. That might be perfect for you and it's SO hackable to the point where you could put OS X on it. It just seems not the right time to invest bigger bucks into this right now. So many things on the verge of happening IMO.

Would you hold off on buying a Mac right now?

Ibanez, are you wanting to get this stuff on your TV screen?

Nah, I only use the TV sparringly - South Park, football, and the occasional DVD.

I just want to be able to hear "computer audio,", ie., MP3s, etc., through the system I plan on buying.

I see it as the old school (tubes, horns, and vinyl) meets the new (Macs,MP3, iTunes, Pandora, etc.).

No. I just wouldn't invest a ton of cash in HTPC stuff right now. I would hold off till June if Leopard was going to be released then, but they pushed it back to October which is unfortunate cuz I want a MacBook. But the AppleTV is only $299 and super-hackable and easy-peasy. It's an interesting gadget. I wouldn't want it unless it was hackable though. But with being able to hack it to no end, it's rather attractive. It will suck all the stuff from your iMac (music, video, etc) to run on your TV & stereo. Sort of plug n' play it seems.

It will suck all the stuff from your iMac (music, video, etc) to run on your TV & stereo. Sort of plug n' play it seems.

I lack hacking skills.

Wouldn't the Airport within the iMac do the same thing with music files - get music to play through my stereo? Is Leopard an update of OS X? Sorry if that was a dumb question!

I would suggest that you take a look at a streaming media player, like the Roku Soundbridge or the SlimServer Squeezebox.

I use the Roku Soundbridge to stream all my ripped CDs, as well as to play Internet radio stations. It's very easy to set up, and is wireless, so it doesn't have to be in the same room as the PC that contains the music. I have used mine for a little over a year, and really like the way it works. It's streaming a library of over 18,000 tracks, and I have never had a problem with it.

I can't discuss the Squeezebox, since I've never used it, but I have looked a the specs for it, and it seems to be pretty much the same as the Soundbridge, but with a higher price tag.

There are a other media servers out there, but a lot of them seem to have some sort of limitation, like a too-small screen, won't sort properly, etc. The Soundbridge and the Squeezebox do not have theses limitations.

Is your TV where your stereo is or do you have a separate isolated 2-channel stereo situation? Cuz wouldn't you need a screen to pick/choose what you want to play/see? Songlists, etc?

I am just interested in plain old 2 channel listening. I would have the iMac in the same room as the stereo, so all I would have to do is go from my listening spot (the comfy chair) to the desk right behind it where the computer is when making playlists, going to the Pandora website, etc.

I would suggest that you take a look at a streaming media player, like the Roku Soundbridge or the SlimServer Squeezebox.

I use the Roku Soundbridge to stream all my ripped CDs, as well as to play Internet radio stations. It's very easy to set up, and is wireless, so it doesn't have to be in the same room as the PC that contains the music. I have used mine for a little over a year, and really like the way it works. It's streaming a library of over 18,000 tracks, and I have never had a problem with it.

I can't discuss the Squeezebox, since I've never used it, but I have looked a the specs for it, and it seems to be pretty much the same as the Soundbridge, but with a higher price tag.

There are a other media servers out there, but a lot of them seem to have some sort of limitation, like a too-small screen, won't sort properly, etc. The Soundbridge and the Squeezebox do not have theses limitations.

How does the Mac Airport compare to the Roku Soundbridge? Are both "compatible" with a Blueberry preamp?

I use the Roku Soundbridge to stream all my ripped CDs, as well as

to play Internet radio stations. It's very easy to set up, and is

wireless, so it doesn't have to be in the same room as the PC that

contains the music. I have used mine for a little over a year, and

really like the way it works. It's streaming a library of over 18,000

tracks, and I have never had a problem with it.

I can't discuss the Squeezebox, since I've never used it, but I have

looked a the specs for it, and it seems to be pretty much the same as

the Soundbridge, but with a higher price tag.

There are a other media servers out there, but a lot of them seem to

have some sort of limitation, like a too-small screen, won't sort

properly, etc. The Soundbridge and the Squeezebox do not have theses

limitations.

How does the Mac Airport compare to the Roku Soundbridge? Are both "compatible" with a Blueberry preamp?

The

AirPort is simply a small wireless hub that also serves as a remote

audio feed and range extender. BUT... I was presuming you are setting

up a wireless network.

The easiest thing for

you to do is just run a line from your Audio Line-Out (headphone) jack

on the iMac to the AUX inputs on you Blueberry.

If you have your computer less than 12' feet away from you preamp, this will work great. Less than $15.00.

181-593m.jpg

The AirPort is simply a small wireless hub that also serves as a remote audio feed and range extender. BUT... I was presuming you are setting up a wireless network.

The easiest thing for you to do is just run a line from your Audio Line-Out (headphone) jack on the iMac to the AUX inputs on you Blueberry.

If you have your computer less than 12' feet away from you preamp, this will work great. Less than $15.00.

181-593m.jpg

Thank you!

See, sometimes the easiest answer is the best!

The iMac comes with the Airport, so I was under the impression that the Airport was NEEDED in order to play music from one's Mac to his or her stereo set up. I guess not, eh? Hey, leave me alone, I was a philosophy major in college![*-)]

I also did not know the iMac had a headphone jack. Yeah, I know...don't make fun...I am new at this stuff.

Nope, I am not ready for a wireless system...yet!

What would you recommend about a CD player? I can play CDs and DVDs through the Mac. Could I use the Mac's CD player with an external DAC to sweeten the sound, or is this even necessary. Will the DAC make an audible difference? Should I hold off on a Rega or Arcam player if I had a DAC installed?

Of course, I don't know how to install a DAC, but that's to be expected!

Tell the salesman what you want to do. If you are buying from an
Apple Store, they'll treat you right and give you good advice. The
iMac comes with an AirPort card, which allows it to connect to an
AirPort hub... but it doesn't come with a hub (I know, I getting in
deeper than you want).

If your iMac is within 12 feet of your preamp, all you need is the connecting cables as shown.

Because you won't be connecting wirelessly, you won't need any software or hardware... just the cables.

Happy listening!

If I may comment.

It seems to me that ib is only wondering whether a computer audio output can be hooked up to a classic "ye olde vacuum tube" audio system. Or anything similar. He is just not going into wireless connections.

So, of course, yes. All you need is the connector which is typically a mini phone plug (like on the end of modern head phones) to RCA (which goes into an input jack on the receiver or pre-amp). There is nothing more complicated than that needed.

I see the Monster brand connectors at the grocery store, here in Chicago, for sale. I've had problems with these types. The collar on the RCA is beautiful but a menace. It is too stiff mechanically. Pushing it on to a jack is difficult and pulling it off may damage the jack.

If you go to Radio Shack you can get a cheapo equivalent which is less prone to causing damage. These also are included with portable CD players so maybe ib has one in a drawer of left over connectors. They all work the same. The electrons can't tell the difference.

There are outboard processors but I have doubts ib need such for this first adventure.

My thought is that you, ib, should experiment with the computer aspects of audio storage with your new Mac and getting programming off the 'net. There is a lot of interesting stuff out there. They can all be heard though your audio system with that simple wire connection.

ib may be very old fashion. Smile.

Let me suggest you first get the Mac fired up and make the wire connections to your system. Then go to www.wdcb.org at 1 pm Central time on Saturday. You might have to load "Real Player" but it is probably in there with the Mac software. Then listen to old time radio, on the tubes. It will be a rewarding start to the project.

Gil

Gil