BURNED La Scala

squawker

I will go ahead and give you a way to try the type A configuration and easily revert to the AA if you choose to do it.

Looking at the Type AA schematic, remove either of the wires to the 245 uH air core inductor.  Remove the nut connecting one of the zener diodes to its mounting plate and insulate it so it does not touch the mounting plate.  Run a wire from the point between the two 2 uF caps (where the 245 uH inductor connects) to the tweeter positive terminal.

Bob 

I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way - I'll try it! If type A produces the sound I want, I'll get back with you about getting some replacement caps. I can't thank you enough, Bob. Forums like this are a gold mine when there are people like you that take the time to give us the answers.

Mark

Bob,

I tried the conversion from AA to A and I thought it sounded much better. I would like to replace the caps for a type A configuration so I guess I need 2 caps per crossover, a 13uF and a 2 uF. What type of cap should I get? Are they available from you?

Mark

• 2 years later...

I finally got around to testing the burned speaker crossover. The meter says everything is OK. It looks OK. I modded the crossover on the unburned speaker to type A and left the burned one in type AA config and they now both sound the same (like type A). Its is hard to believe that it would be the tweeter itself.

Guest David H

Its is hard to believe that it would be the tweeter itself.

Actually I have many times seen older K-77's with different SPL, in that case I send them to Bob to replace the diaphrams, or get a set of CT-125's to replace them with. Either way, sounds like you have got it under control.