need advice: What do I buy?

CosimoJack

What do I buy?

I have a 300B SET amp - 10-13 watts... and I'm going away from single driver speaker, as I would like a more full sound. Space is a bit compromised right now, I mean I could fit a big set of speakers, it just may look a bit weird or overpowering in my avg. size living room...

Here's my options:

Heresy I - I can get a pair in good shape for $275...

Heresy III - I think I'll like the increased sensitivity w/my 300B, said to have better sound and bass vs. I and II's and I like the look of these and so would my wife. I would need to sell my current speakers before buying, not a big deal.

Cornwall I or II - They would work in my room, but the wife won't be super happy with their size.

Altec Valencia's 846A's - I can get a pair locally in beautiful shape, but there's the

same size issue as the Cornwall...

Thoughts/Advice?

Its probably tough to beat the local Heresy deal; especially if space is an issue. I suppose your music preferences would be a factor but all three Klipsch options are good ones. Ive always gone along with the idea that Heresys were a bit shy in bass but when you come right down to it I think that concept might be over stated. The IIIs would be nice too but now the investment is up and if you dont like them and want to move to Cornwalls it will cost you.

• Moderators

I would say Hersey lll first choice Cornwall second if size is a problem.

What kind of music do you like, use a sub ? The Heresy lll would be light on the bass compared to a Cornwall, that's why I asked about the sub ?

The H lll uses the same mid and high freq drivers as the Cornwall lll, and they sound great, like I said though a little light on the bass, but sound very nice, ask anyone that has heard them.

IMHO

Thanks for the replies. I'll be playing everything on them... my musical taste runs from classical/jazz to heavy metal... but probably the genre I listen to most progressive rock - King Crimson, Camel, etc..

I'm sort of leaning towards the Heresy I or III's right now for size reasons... I can deal with less bass for the time being... heck I'm currently using 4" fostex speakers... so I'm sure the Heresy's will be a big improvement to what I'm used to... :)

How much better is the Heresy III than the I?

• Moderators

I have only heard the Heresy l's once, and I thought the lll's sounded much better to me. Others with more experience with these will be able to give you a better assessment, I have not listened enough to give you fair advice, to be honest.

But I did really like the sound of the lll's, there was no question about that.

I would imagine they would have more bass than the 4" Fostex speakers you have , but I have never heard them so just guessing on that.

Should get some more replies that offers more help, good luck what ever you do !

Heresy 2's and 3's are a good choice, the 3's with better overall response, higher SPL. Found my H2's lacking bass with SS, got better with the Scott, and finally added sub, NO BASS SHORTAGE HERE.................NONE...........Fine speakers Heresy's, and they don't take alot of room..............