RIP Andrew Hill

Allan Songer

He passed away early today. I know it's an often overused term, but Andrew Hill was a genius, a truly unique voice on the piano and as a composer as well. I was lucky enough to hear him play a half a dozen times--the last time at The Jazz Bakery a couple of years ago. It was a cold midweek night and there were only about 20 of us there and I was alone in the small balcony absolutely transfixed looking down at him. Magic--pure magic.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=13551

This is one of the greatest albums of the 1960's. (NO MATTER WHAT GARY SAYS!--one day you'll want that perfect Stereo New York copy back!)

4880469478.jpg

• Moderators

He passed away early today. I know it's an often overused term, but Andrew Hill was a genius, a truly unique voice on the piano and as a composer as well. I was lucky enough to hear him play a half a dozen times--the last time at The Jazz Bakery a couple of years ago. It was a cold midweek night and there were only about 20 of us there and I was alone in the small balcony absolutely transfixed looking down at him. Magic--pure magic.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=13551

This is one of the greatest albums of the 1960's. (NO MATTER WHAT GARY SAYS!--one day you'll want that perfect Stereo New York copy back!)

How sad, I have his Black Fire lp, and I really enjoy it a lot. Lung Cancer at 75, makes me want to quit smoking even more.

Travis

good to know the recognition he received over the years for his music's restless originality, though some of his best works were only recently resurrected from Blue Note's vaults. the Mosaic Select box set that came out in 2005 is still one of my favorites. saw that his final public performance was on March 29, 2007 at Trinity Church in New York City . . looking for more info on a new release due out in June titled Change under the JCT label.