Mcintosh Amp

alliclaytor

Hey...thanks for the input. I have looked at Roger Russell's Page, and have chosen my list based on the specs/features of each. I like the # of aux inputs of the 28 and 29, but the specs for the distortion, etc of the 27 and 29. Therefore I have the 29 and 27 at the top...and the other two are essentially there if I find a steal. I hadn't put much thought into the 26 after seeing its limited features and mildly less desirable specs to the 27/29. And hopefully with the advice of you more seasoned audio enthusiasts as well as my research...I won't have to learn by fire too much. Thanks!

Don't get hung up on specs! By far the least reliable, and worst specs of everything in your equipment chain are your speakers, and the distortion spec for your speakers will not published.

If you base a ranking system purely on published specs, you will be in a world of disappointment before too long.

I am an engineer...so most of what I Iook at in day are specs to determine what is best...lol. Like I said though the 27 and 29 seem to be holding their own with me based on the features, user opinion, as well as the specs...so for now i think they will remain at the top of the list.

"The C29 got the nod in every recommendation."

I was a McIntosh and Klipsch dealer when all this stuff was new .

The phono preamp on the C29 has room for improvement.

The C28 brings good bucks on eBay for its looks (symetrical knob placement), not its sound.

If you're not going to listen to it, then by all means buy from the spec sheet.

If you want the meters to be blue forever, buy the Roscolux replacement gels from Roscolene, they don'r yellow from the heat of the meter lamps like the originals do. Any music store has them.

Wow! You could make your Mac meters Bastid Amber, or Dark Red or anything!

I mentioned elsewhere my friend in school who put blue Roscolene behind the meters on his Bose amp to make it seem more Mac-esque. Didn't help the sound any, though.