Suggestions for newbie

MagnumMan

Hello,everyone! I'm new to the boards.

I currently have a mismatched speaker system and plan on finishing it next year. I was looking for any suggestions.

My main fronts are Klipsch KG 3.5's. What I would like to do is get larger mains and move the 3.5's to the rears (which are currently JBL floorstanding MRV 308's).

The 3 styles I really like are CF-4's in the Classic series, KLF-30 of the Legend series,and the KG 5.5's. I'm really leaning toward the Legends. I have always loved them! A couple of years back, I could have bought a pair for $600 at a store closeout. I still kick myself in the rear for not getting them!

For the center channel,I was looking at the KLF C7's and the KV 4's. I did read posts about the C7's being much better than the KV 3's. But with the KV 4's a step higher,how do they compare to the C7's?

According to the spec page, the KV 4 has a larger tweeter and reaches down to 65 Hz. Whereas the C7 goes down to 75 Hz.

A lot of people think I'm crazy for having floorstanding speakers for surrounds. But I always argue that they really make a system pack a punch! I can turn my subs off and still rumble the place!

My subs are custum made from antique wooden coffins. I have two of them with (3) 12" Advents in each. They fire down into floor. I am powering them with a Rotel 5 Channel amp (RB-985).

System also includes Harman Kardon Receiver (AVR 80). It's amazing how well the 3.5's sound with the AVR 80! To put them to the test,I have the Telarc cd "1812 Overture" with the digital cannons. The 3.5's put the cannons right in my living room!

To close,I'm glad to have found these boards for Klipsch lovers! Many people in my area have never heard of Klipsch. So it's good to see everyone here sharing their experiences and helping others looking for certain items!

THANKS!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

Welcome aboard!

As you have probably already found out, the info on this site recommends KV-4 as a match for the KG 5.5, CF-4 and KLF-30. And of course the KLF-C7 is an obvious match for the KLF-30. You might want to call Klipsch tech support and see what they recommend. My guess is that it will be KLF-C7. Neither the KV-4 nor the KLF-C7 is in production. But at least the KLF-C7 is readily available. The KV-4 is very hard to find.

I don't consider the KV-4 simply a step from the KV-3. Its really a different beast than the rest of the KV line to me. Its much more like the Academy and KLF-C7. I have owned a KV-3. And I think the KLF-C7 would make a much better center for the mains you propose if you are considering a KV-3 in place of a KV-4.

Post some pictures of you subs if you can!

Hey Magnum.....

I grew up and raised a lotta hell in Decatur. Van Wert was a regular stop on Sunday when we ran out of beer. Glad to have you on board. The Legends will be your best bet if you want to get a good center match, as the KLF-C7 is still pretty available. The KG's will also be pretty good, but they would be my second choice, as you won't get a warranty, and you'll have to get your center on Ebay or similar.

The subs do sound cool. Where do you get antique wooden coffins? Never mind...I don't want to know Smile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gif

Erisaurus Rex

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. It sheds some light on what I will want.

Esoteric Man-I do know Joe. He's pretty cool. I actually help all the guys when they first opened the Lima store. I was like a kid in a candy store playing with all the equipment!cwm12.gif

I take it by your name that you have Esoteric cables?

That is what I replaced everything with a couple years back. I picked the "200 Series". Nice middle of the road. Not cheap,but not too expensive. It's amazing how improved everything was!

It was funny. I had Lynn at the VW shop order it all at once. When it came in,it was in two big boxes.

About the subs. I got the coffins from an antique dealer in town here. One of them I actually fit in! I have pics,but have to find them. I had a couple posted on my yahoo photo page,but for some reason my albums are not there. As soon as I find them,I'll post them.

Another cool thing I did that no one else in town ever thought of. I bought 4 green StreetGlow neon lights. I installed one behind the tv and three on top of entertainment center. I hooked them up to a 12 volt power supply pack I bought at Radio Shack. They look awesome with all the lights out. I have this big green glow on ceiling and behind tv! I have pics of them to that I will find and post.

Thanks again!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ