HT + 2 channel. Want to try RMB-1075.

UFObuster

I'm running HT with Klipsch RF-7 front, RC-7 center, and RF-5 surround. A late model Yamaha AVR gives me processing while I use a separate Rotel RB-1080 amp (200wpc) for front mains (a real necessity and a pleaser with the RF-7).

I had thought about giving up the RB-1080 in favor of the RMB-1095 (200wpc-5ch) and replacing the Yammi with the RSP-1068 processor from Rotel as an upgrade. Well and good, but I got afraid that I might loose some 2 channel clarity if I let the 1080 go and I REALLY like the 2 channel sound I'm getting from the Rotel/Klipsch combo.

So, if you will, please comment on this compromise and give me your suggestions too: I'll keep the RB-1080 for front LR and 2 channel. I'll add a 5-channel rotel RMB-1075 (120wpc) to run center and surround in HT mode and have 2 channels left for 7.1 later. I'll use the Rotel RSP-1068 for a processor hoping that in combo with the 1080 I'll further improve 2 channel listening and have great HT on-call all the time. So far, I haven't thought of a better solution but I don't know the market that well. I can get Rotel locally and the dealer is negotiable. I can swap if I have to.

Lastly, I just thought that the 1095 is overkill to run surround channels....wrong? I also may be over-rating the idea that a separte 2 channel amp will give me significantly better 2 channel if i'm not using a dedicated 2 channel processor...wrong? I only have a gut feeling about this but will audition what I can.

thanks for comments,

Roger

Roger,

I have ran the gammit with the Rotel-Klipsch combo, and don't think there is a better ss combo than the 1080 with the 7's for 2 channel duty.

I have owned many of their amps (as well as processors) and the 1080 is spot on. I had to try their 1090 (380 per side) for a while, and preffered the 1080 to it.

The RSP 1068 has a true analog pass through, which foregoes tone control, along with processing, so it gives a pretty good true to source path.

I had their RSP-1068, 1080, and RMB 1075 for quite a while, pulling both 2 channel as well as ht duty. I have since gone tubed on the 2 channel, but still use their RSX-1056 (w/ redirect feature active), and RB 1050 (70 per side) for ht, driving 7's as mains,RC 7, RF 3's as surrounds, and RB 35's as rear centers.

The RMB 1075 is a very capable, robust, and trouble free work horse, that has more than enough giddy-up to push efficient speaks like ours, and, can't be beat at its price point.

You will notice a "sonic" difference between the Yamie and Rotel on the front end, as I began with Yamaha b-4 finding Rotel. I found the Rotel to be a tad more laid back, not as brite, and a little truer to source than the Yamaha. This is subjective so you may find it differently. Do bear in mind, every new piece of Rotel I had owned sounded a little stiff, uptight out of the box, but after some run time they blossoms very nicely.

My personal beleif is you can't go wrong with the RSP 1068, RB 1080, and RMB 1075 combo, as it is a system that will give you great 2 channel, great ht, flexibilty, and is hard to beat in the bang for the buck catagory. Throw a Jolida JD100 cdp on the front end of it, and get ready for some incredible cd listening like you never thought possible.

Good luck, and I for one will be waiting to see what you decide.......

Bob

Well...Bob pretty much nailed it.The 1080/1075 combo is a great set.I had the 1095 but it was such a waste as I listen to a lot of 2ch.I had a chance to sell and get all my $ back so I picked up the 1075 to do for a while,till next winter at least,lol.

....going down the same ruts, Fish...decided to order the RMB-1075/RSP-1068 combo and a tuner today....added to the RB-1080...my first true "separate" kit....made the desicision listening to a Chet Baker CD knowing that hearing some good music is what this is about...

...BTW...while I was at the "shop"...I listened to the new RF line....still like my RF-7...no change happening here until something really better happens or unless my house grows enough to sqeeze in some "heritage".

thanks for the comments,

Roger

I am currently using the following:

Rotel 1098 pre

Rotel 1080 - mains

Rotel 1095 - side and back surrounds + center

These are powering the Ultra2 system with five 650s and two 525s.

It sounds absolutely amazing

I understand my speakers are quite different from yours, but the clarity coming out of the surrounds is better than I could have imagined.

I have zero complaints and am very glad I went with the 1080 and 1095.

• 2 weeks later...