New Purchase of Heresys

They are the original Heresies, and not the Heresy IIs. Crossovers may need refurbing for best performance. If you can get the serial numbers from him, we can tell you the year they were made. If the labels are gone off the back, the SNs are stamped into the wood on the back edge of the top of the cabinets.

Did you win these?

Bruce

As Marvel said, they appear to be original Heresys - which means they date anywhere up to the early '80's. Serial numbers will tell you the exact year.

From the photos, they appear to be HBR (Heresy, birch, raw) meaning the were delivered as unfinished Baltic Birch 7 ply plywood - which was either stained or oil finished by a prior owner.

The capacitors in the crossovers can probably stand an upgrade, but I'd say live with them for a while before you consider any changes. Heresys are amazing speakers. Congratulations on your purchase.

James

WOW, look at the motorboards! Those are not only sweet HBR's, but DECORATORS! That's how you account for the naked motorboard. See how the front panel extends all the way to the top and bottom of the cabinet? There is also no inset for a 'normal' grille installation. If it were me I'd yank that velcro off of there and enjoy the beauty of the wood. Those are magnificent examples and should have sold for twice as much.

SCORE! Congrats- welcome to the Madness.

Michael

post-10755-13819330693406_thumb.jpg

The decorator Heresys prior to around 74-75 had a smaller more rounded

dust cover on the woofer and a little bit deeper angle to the cone -

these beauties are post that time with the bigger dust cover and

flatter cone angle. Great price, too.

Don't know, Michael. My first roommate in college bought a new pair
of decorators in 74 and I remember distinctly the way the woofers
looked as we listened to them for the year; then in 75 I bought a new
pair of HWO for myself and when I got around to pulling the grilles I
was surprized by the difference in the woofer.

The decorator
woofer's dust cap was almost a hemisphere about the size of a squash
ball...this made the cone have more area, and the depth of the speaker
was deeper (the sides of the clone more slanted).

Woof's should be K-22-R's, but with the exposed lead wires by the smaller dust cap, could be a variant K-22-K's. Pair of "black" square magnet K-22's normally (key word - normally...) have the slightly larger cap with wires; pair that went to another forum memberl had the smaller cap, but the leads were not exposed.

In any event Hooyah! very nice speakers. Great original finish. Could be naturally yellowed with age, but they sure look good.

Almost forgot... K-24's have a very large cap and cone "ridge" lines, are "black" in appearance as opposed to the more "greenish" appearance of the cone material on the 22's (although I've seen both); and did not appear on H-I's until the end late 83', 84, as they transitioned to the H-II. When he pulls the back to look, the older 22's will only have 4 mounting screws, much later they had 8, often only screwed with 4, but all 24's used 8 as they were bolted to the front of the driver board.