Hangin out at the ole brick and mortar.

stormin

Stopped in at my long time dealer to listen to some new setups and look and see what kind of used equipment was in. After looking at some old HK tube gear with those MIA 7355's and a few old fisher pieces we decided to move into the high end room.

Equipment:

McIntosh MC402 400wpc SS - $5,900

McIntosh C45 SS - $3,599

Phillips SACD 1000 - $2,000

B & W 802D - $12,000

Room is fairly large not sure of exact dimensions and has bass traps as well as other sound reinforcements.

Spent about 2 hours listening. We listened to Dire Straits, Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, and of course some Floyd.

We we pushing about 50watts. Jammin along pretty good. If that would of been the same 50watts on my Chorus II's we would of been having a block party.

The sound was descent but got to say there is noway I would spend that kind of money for that. For some folks I imagine its the cats meow but wow do I appreciate what I have managed to put together at home. I've got about $6,000 worth of equipment when new that I listen to on a daily basis vs $24,000 worth we were listening to there. My combo is richer, more pleasing to the ears and much more dynamic. Don't misunderstand, I am not saying it sounded like a $500 combo set but gosh for $24,000 compared to what I have invested geesh something doesnt add up. Maybe if it was sitting in the same spot my system is it would be a different story. I just find it amazing how folks walk in and say yeah that sounds great and drop the cash. Are they buying sound or the names? It sure is a long road we travel to get to a point we feel comfortable and somewhat satisfied. Just my 2cents on a couple hours of hanging out.

• Moderators

Stormin,

I know what you mean. I am so glad dtel discovered Klipsch. Our first experience with Klipsch was a Synergy set up, which dollar for dollar couldn't be beat. Dtel discovered the Heritage product line after we purchased our Synergy set up.

Our Forte set up for surround sound blows most people away that come to visit. I couldn't imagine spending what some folks spend and really not having any better quality sound. It just amazes me.

As for the Cornwall IIIs again most folks would face a serious challenge on sound quality dollar for dollar.

Doesn't it make you feel good to know that Klipsch sells quality products at reasonable prices!!!!

And in answer to your question, IMO most folks are buying name....

Hi Stormin,

Glad to hear your discovery! It's always great to find that you set up a "giant killer".

I've never heard the 802D, but the 802's I've heard with the proper amplification sound like a little piece of heaven. I think Max on the forums has commented that he likes the 802's over the 802D's. The McIntosh should have done the trick for sure though. I heard the 802's being powered by a Denon 5802 and it sounded like CRAP. The next time I was in the store they were drive by components and a 200WPC yamaha amp and they were SWEET!

I think some of the high cost in the B & W lineup, is as Christy said, name. I think the other factor is the furniture grade speakers they make. Many of their speakers borderline "art" that I'm sure comes with a very high cost. The 802's to me are some of the best looking speakers I have ever seen.

I had a chance 2 years ago to get the 802's for a little over 5K. I had the money ready to fly and decided not too as I felt I was being foolish with my money. Now that I have a 2 channel set-up I truly wish I would have jumped on the chance!

On a side note, I bought a pair of bookshelf B & W 303's (?) to setup on my old deck when we used to sit outside and jam, but my Polk 800's blew them away. Of course those were towers, so....

Right now I have a set of Polk Monitor 5's I bought off ebay for $55 that blow away the RF3's in the mid/high range in my two channel system.

Audio really is a pain in the A$$!

A month ago I listened to a similar combo...the exception was the McIntosh MVP-861. My system at home was superior in nearly every way to my ears. You could tell it was laboring when we had Arthur Willis' Viking playing. That piece gets pretty deep. Patricia Barber's Nardis and Orpheus didn't have the same emotional impact. There were no Wow moments with these songs like I get at home.

The high ends cost is high with small diminishing returns....Small increment of improvements to some almost a waste of cost....I too shake my head at the companys wanting to recover there research cost as quickly as possible ..Almost like the drug companys.....But if you like some of the designs just waite six months and it will be up forsale at half the cost.....Thats how i do my collecting of some great gear.

Stopped in at my long time dealer to listen to some new setups and look and see what kind of used equipment was in. After looking at some old HK tube gear with those MIA 7355's and a few old fisher pieces we decided to move into the high end room.

Equipment:

McIntosh MC402  400wpc SS     - $5,900

McIntosh C45     SS                   - $3,599

Phillips SACD 1000                    - $2,000

B & W 802D                              - $12,000

Room is fairly large not sure of exact dimensions and has bass traps as well as other sound reinforcements.

Spent about 2 hours listening. We listened to Dire Straits, Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, and of course some Floyd.

We we pushing about 50watts. Jammin along pretty good. If that would of been the same 50watts on my Chorus II's we would of been having a block party.

The sound was descent but got to say there is noway I would spend that kind of money for that. For some folks I imagine its the cats meow but wow do I appreciate what I have managed to put together at home. I've got about $6,000 worth of equipment when new that I listen to on a daily basis vs $24,000 worth we were listening to there. My combo is richer, more pleasing to the ears and much more dynamic. Don't misunderstand, I am not saying it sounded like a $500 combo set but gosh for $24,000 compared to what I have invested geesh something doesnt add up. Maybe if it was sitting in the same spot my system is it would be a different story. I just find it amazing how folks walk in and say yeah that sounds great and drop the cash. Are they buying sound or the names? It sure is a long road we travel to get to a point we feel comfortable and somewhat satisfied. Just my 2cents on a couple hours of hanging out.

Interesting thread...

I would be very interested to kmow what your home set up consists of.

I just tonight bought a set of CW's and I am going to drive them with SS Mc gear...

Interesting thread...

I would be very interested to kmow what your home set up consists of.

I just tonight bought a set of CW's and I am going to drive them with SS Mc gear...

Hi,

You can check out my home set up by clicking on my name and selecting system profile.

And by no means am I saying that your CW's won't sound great being drivin by some SS Mc gear.

I really wasn't picking on McIntosh,B & W or Phillips. And I wasn't able to determine if the difference between that room and my room could possibly make that much of a difference. I will say that the combo in that room with that music would not be something that I could enjoy or live with for very long. We all have our own preferences as to what sounds good or not to us. I know for a fact that there are members of this forum that use equipment that I have owned and consider darn near the equivalent as fingernails on a chalkboard. And others use equipment that I find just completely dull and lifeless. So it really does show the wide contrasts in likes and dislikes.

Make no doubt that i never thought for a minute that you were saying that the Corwalls would not sound good with McIntosh.

I understand your point completly, It is really nice when you prefer your own system to that of others around you...

I call it musical bliss!!!

Enjoy the music!!!