HELP NEEDED or am I S.O.L?????

Cal Blacksmith

I have been happy with my HT setup for a while, but today, I decided to add an HD Dish PVR into the mix. My problem is that the PVR only has HDMI outputs for the multi ch audio. It can output stereo and component but that will short me on the 5.1 audio that it can produce when connected to my NON-HDMI projector.

PVR brochure here

My inputs to the receiver are SDPIF and digital coax (as well as analog inputs for 7.1) What I need to do is split the HDMI signal to something I can use. Has anyone been down this road or am I S.O.L due to the copy protection issues?

AVR rear view here

At present, I am using component feed to the projector from the AVR and all is well. The usable inputs on the projector are component, composite, VGA and copy protection compliant DVI. I don't mind running a DVI feed straight to the projector as this input is unused at the moment but I still need to split the audio from the HDMI cable as the audio is via the Yamaha AVR.

Projector inputs here

The inputs to the Sony widescreen (KDF50E2000) TV (different room) are HDMI and it has an SDPIF output so it could be hooked up to the AVR, but I would rather not need to run the Sony as a decoder while watching the projector in the next room, except of course for those rare occasions when we want both on at the same time, such as watching the superbowl with a lot of people over.

TV overview here

Has anyone else crossed this bridge or am I the pioneer here[*-)]??

Guest " "
"It can output stereo and component but that will short me on the 5.1 audio that it can produce when connected to my NON-HDMI projector."

I don't see a problem...your PVR has optical outputs and your AVR has optical inputs.

I just installed the exact same Dish reciever on Sunday. I used the Toslink to my Marantz 8400, reassigned the input in the setup menu of the Marantz and I have great 5.1.

I am amazed at all the programming that SHOULD be 5.1, but is only in stereo. Especially music programs.

Jobman

I got everything connected up and it all works just great!

The normal TV is hooked up via HDMI and composite/stereo connections. This way

if I want to watch something different on the PJ it is easy to switch the TV to

SD and use the HD on the PJ, otherwise, the same signal goes to both places.

Both setups look great (as they should) and we watched a HD Showtime movie last

night, with better than DVD quality (again, as it should be), I am very pleased.

The DVR sure uses up memory quick on HD time shifting! The

hard drive is good for 200 hours of programming on SD and only 30 hours of HD!

Now if I can only get the recorded content off of the old

PVR in other than real time mode without taking the PVR apart and installing

the hard drive in a PC to copy what I want, Oh yea, the PVR uses Linux, not

windows based operating system, just to add another layer of effort to the

project!