Help matching KV-4 to main/rear

Big K

I need help deciding what to do about replacing my main speakers and would like to be able to find the best match to my existing center channel (KV-4). Here's my complete setup:

Receiver - Yamaha 2090 (7-channel surround with DD 5.1 which will eventually be replaced by something more current like the RX-V1)

Main Spkrs - 20-year old Yamahas with 15" woofers (not bad sounding given their age, but not nearly as "tight" as you'd find with modern speakers like the RF line) NOTE: replacing these speakers is what I am seeking advice on

Surr Spkrs - given my 7-channel setup, I have a pair of KG-1.5's as the "upper front" speakers... although they do not operate in Dolby Digitial or DTS, I still plan to use them for enhanced surround on stereo-only input... my rear effects speakers are Niles HD 650's, which were installed during the construction of my house... not top of the line, but seem to do OK NOTE: I'd be interested to know if anybody thinks I'll see a dramatic improvement by moving these to another part of my house and replacing them with matching Klipsch... and if that is the case, what's the right match? Assume a receiver with 110W per rear

Ctr Ch Spkr - Klipsch KV-4... I'm very happy with it, have no idea if the current top of line (RC-7) offers anything better

Subwoofer - M&K MX-70B

Television - Mitsubishi 60" rear proj with HD-1080i

Room - relatively enclosed lower level room of about 15x25 with a normal height ceiling

As you can see, this is a somewhat ecclectic mix of gear... each piece stands on its own, but I may not be getting the best final result because of matching. To me, the simplest remedy seems to be to replace the Yamaha mains with something that matches the KV-4 and KG 1.5's... and possibly replace the rears with matching in-wall speakers (if they exist). The question I have is whether it's best to go this route, or find a home for the KV-4 and start over with the RF line... (I would have to be conviced that the RF sound is that much better that it would be worth swapping everything out).

Please offer your advice.

Thanks,

-Big K

This message has been edited by Big K on 12-16-2001 at 01:23 PM

Big K, by clicking 'products'at the top of the page,then 'home audio',then 'classics' you can do a little Klipsch cross referencing of your currrent speakers.

My suggestion,with budget in mind,would be to buy a pair of KG5.5's for front L/R use,use your KV-4 center, and KG1.5's for surrounds.Get rid of the Niles in-walls.Then you're in 5.1 bidness.

If cost no matter,get rid of everything and buy a complete Reference speaker system as shown on the Klipsch Products page.

Simple as that.

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 12-16-2001 at 01:54 PM

Actually the KV4 does NOT match the KG5.5s. I think the Klipsch guys made a mistake on this new and improved website. I own a pair of KG5.5s and used to have a KV3. Long ago, I posted about replacing that center with a KV4 and BobG informed me that the KV4 was not a good match at all for my 5.5s (or anything in the KG series I believe) -- but I forgot just what speakers it was made to match. Maybe BobG can come to the rescue here again (and have someone fix their KV4 page).

This message has been edited by STL on 12-16-2001 at 04:08 PM

Big K-

I have a KV-4 and use it with my Forte IIs and 2pr of KG 1.2s for surround/back center. I used to have a KV-3, and upgraded to the -4 about 8 months ago. Good stuff. You should be able to find some used Forte's or Chorus on eBay or the other audio web sites. Enjoy.

Big K,

I must admit that I planted that seed (see sgantt's msg). I am thinking you'd be better off selling that KV4 since it will be very hard to find main speakers (from the Epic Series) that match. Then I would suggest you use the new RF-line for your front three speakers (or try looking for used speakers in the KG-line or KLF-line). It is really most important that your front three speakes match. Beyond that, as long as you as using Klipsch speakers in the rear that a comprabable (not the small quintets, etc.) then you should be fine.

This message has been edited by STL on 12-18-2001 at 07:16 PM