Wife says no to china cabinet - too big! Traded it for $$$ and a JBL speaker..

Well, I took the top half of the Heywood Wakefield china cabinet home last weekend and it never made it in the house. My lovely wife rolled her eyes, and again told me the living room will always have a sofa and a love seat. China cabinet was taken over to our favorite antique store, and the co-owner pizzed in his pants when he saw it.

As they offloaded it from the party wagon, I wandered about the store and ended up taking home this old JBL speaker - the one Liam is standing on. It is a JBL C37(Rhodes) with a nice 01 setup. It will make some very sweet music when paired with its older brother, the C40 Harkness. Never did I expect to find the first JBL, let alone the second, even more so with the same grille wiring, and both at the same place a couple months apart. Wow!

post-11894-13819333796736_thumb.jpg

Michael, the paneling walls definitely warm and mellow things a bit. The living/family room upstairs has the good half inch thick plastering/lathe walls with cove ceilings, and it accentuates the bass more. The only down side with the JBLs is they take of six feet of wall space right now, and it is listening wall space for the KHorn main system downstairs. I don't care too much being in Chicago right now, but I have to find a tenable situation for them when I get home for good.

Having giganormous vintage speakers is a good thing!

I still can't believe how close they are in looks.[<:o)]

Those are so uber-retro, they look great in that room. That is one reason that I'd love to have Belle Klipsch for my room, that low slung look is just so very very cool. Hmmm, Maybe the vertical CW's on long bases or little leggings....

Cool score Dave! Those things are twice as long as my c-38's! Mine have that same grill cloth. Yes indeed they are a very close match from your pics. You definately have a gift for finding this stuff. How do you feel about updating the crossovers in these old girls? I have been thinking about putting new caps in mine, just wondering what difference it will make. Congrats again.

Jeremy

Jeremy, the big ones are collector items, and two JBL fans in St. Louis said it would be good to just build a modern pair and save the originals.

The N2400 crossover supposedly is very simple. It sounds like it would be a desolder, pull, and resolder job, but is anything ever that easy?I'm going home the next two weekends, but I want to touch base with you about a possible screaming Marantz receiver deal. I'll send you a pm..