Another DIY Project

christjared

Hello,

I am on my quest for a DIY subwoofer. I already have the sub, but I am looking for an amp. I might have found one on partsexpress.com. Anyway, my sub consists of a Cadence Flash 154 with the t/s parameters as follows. The amp I am looking at buying is a 250 watt rms @ 4ohms. Here is the link http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-793. The question I have is what type of box should I make considering these specs. I will use the sub basically 60% music 40% movies. Any input would be well heard. Thank you

Z=0
Fs=22.55
Pe=300
SPL=84
Re=3.53
Le=1.655
BL=10.92
Xmax=0.0055
Cms=0
Qms=7.82
Qes=1.278
Qts=1.098
Sd=0.079173
Vas=145.54
Type=0

yikes

That qts is crazy, I haven't seen anything close to that other than the soundsplinter premiums. Most people recommend sealed enclosure for high qts values (.5), 1 is almost unheard of

With an spl of 84 and an xmax of only 5mm, even with a bigger amp rated at its power handling (300w), itd have a hard time keeping up with anything but a small bookshelf system I think.

You can get raw drivers with serious potential for not a lot of money. I'd check out tcsounds.com

Back to your question. Sealed?

Nevermind ...this is a free air driver,can work in a sealed box(peaky)and is worthless in a ported...

It would be hard to find a worse candidate for a sealed box. In a IB application where you do not demand much extension or output it could be classified as passable...at best. 5.5 Xmax...goodness gracious...my smallish mid-bass have more Xmax!

A Dayton DVC 12" on special @ Parts Express is going for under $90. The DVC has 15mm of Xmax and can cope much better with true sub duty,even in sealed cabinets.

This is probably a car free air sub. In a car you do not ned massive excursion to reach serious SPL. Remember the free air woofers(subs) sold by many companies in the 90's.They had poor cone travel and for the most part did ok...in a car.