My thoughts on HDTV so far!!!

33klfan

Wow, i am impressed. I can't wait to get directv. Hopefully their quality is pretty good. I thought my local cable company would look pixelated, but it's mainly just noisy. We actually get some hd/digital channels and they are really clear and awesome. My toshiba hda20 came and regular dvd's look pretty darn good. I'm not sure if 1080p is what i should set the upscaler to or not for regular dvd's even though my tv is 1080p. It depends on the dvd but slightly older dvds like stargate with kurt russell look pretty noisy. Now new dvd's like star wars and remember the titans looked clear. I noticed slight motion blur hear and there on remember the titans but it was mainly with fast movement of faces turning, but the actual game wasn't blurry. The only complaint of the toshiba 42hl167 is the off angle. I guess all lcd's have issues and this is toshiba's problem. Now i am only about 9' away from it and when you go to the side you can notice lighter color. The only thing i have to do is get a calibration disc. I have the picture pretty decent but if the calibration is a must then i'll have to get it. Sometimes picture looks too green or too red and blue. Those seem like the picky colors that need adjusted. Overall, the picture quality and value is amazing.

HDTV is here to stay and once you taste the real deal going back is not easy. I have my Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p...oh with the HTPC PC connected...visual extacy. Now if programs would be in true high def... 1080p it would be a perfect world.

I view from 6 feet away,it is grand and oh so sharp.Proper calibration is a must to enjoy your set to the fullest.

Is it normal for the regular dvd's to have some noise. It's more noticeable in the background when something is in front is focused, but sometimes the whole picture is slightly noticeable. It depends on angle and color. I didn't know if that's the dvd or what? I tried different settings on hddvd player with resolution output and it looks close to the same between 480 and 1080p.

Is the avia calibration disc the best?