Help!!! No DTS????

tommyboy

I have the XBOX HD DVD player. I watched Four Brothers tonight, but my receiver wouldn't pick up the DTS sound. I checked my receivers settings; all good to go. Checked the XBOX/ HD DVD player books, and they said nothing at all about sound modes. Are there possibly any downloads/ upgrades I need for the player? I'm in desperate need of help. There's no point in having the HD DVD player if I can't even watch it in DTS, right? Any input would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.

P.S.

It's not just that dvd either. Italian Job wouldn't play in DTS either???

Amir Majidimehr, the corporate vice president of
Microsoft's Consumer Media Technology Group, announced that a software update for the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player is scheduled for
release 5.15:

"It is my pleasure to let you all know that
the HD DVD update for Xbox 360 is slated for release on 5/15. .... Hope you all download it and provide feedback on what you
think!" {Note: That's Amir talkin' - I don't care... ;-) }

Here's what the HD DVD audio update will include on May 15th:

* Fix DD being stuck in "Night Mode" which is essentially Dynamic Range Compression leading to the sound sounding very flat
Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DTS 1.5Mbps (list includes DD+,
TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may
have missed)
* Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DD 640Kbps,
(which it currently does, but will be fixed from the Night Mode bug),
list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on
HD DVD discs that I may have missed.
* Option to output ALL HD DVD
audio as WMAPro (768Kbps I think), (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and
any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may have missed) for
those receivers that support WMA.
* Option to enable/disable Night Mode (with the default set to off)
* Fix a number of disc incompatibilities (including DVD Essentials) as well as a number of Lip Sync issues.

Here's the download link:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/download.htm

what oldbuster said...

"Are you using the RIGHT cables...............I couldn't get DTS on my Sony, finally broke down and bought Digital Coax, worked fine...Digital Coax, or optical cable will work................... "

if you are using coax (recomended), make sure it is not a standard RCA or video cable. Get a COAX cable.

So I got the update done. is there anything else I'm supposed to do??? The movies still won't play in DTS. The XBOX said the update was successful. As far as cables, I use a THX monster cable optical wire. Optical is the only wire you can run with this player.

So I got the update done. is there anything else I'm supposed to do??? The movies still won't play in DTS.

To play a movie in DTS, you need to go to the DVD setup menu on the DVD itself, and manually select the DTS sountrack from the list of choices. On the DVD startup menu, go to where it says "Audio Setup or Languages", and choose DTS. If you dont, the DVD audio will default to DD.

PS... you also need to make sure you go into the DVD player setup menu to activate DTS. You only need to do this one time during initial setup.

Are you using the RIGHT cables...............I couldn't get DTS on my Sony, finally broke down and bought Digital Coax, worked fine...Digital Coax, or optical cable will work...................

It shows in his description that he's not using composite 2-channel cables/connection ports in his setup. What you say is true though...... if he wasn't connecting through a multi-channel input, it would be a little difficult to play multi-channel audio:) (neigher 5.1 DD or DTS would work) In his case, he's trying to figure out how to bypass the default DD 5.1 soundtrack.

PS.... It's not so much about the cable, but how you connect. For example, you can take a single decades old composite RCA cable and connect your DVD player to your receiver by using the multi-channel digital coax port, and it will play multi-channel & DTS signals perfectly well. Providing it's a quality made cable, it will provide every bit as much quality multi-channel sound as a brand spanking new THX rated d-coax of today.

It is about cable.................Less is better..........Why use 2,3,4 wires when one will do? You buy all this fancy digital equipment and you use old used cables..............Whatever works for you...............Mine works Great........Tommy will figure it out.......