Recommend Amp and Processor for RF-7

STUDIO 2000

Everyone thanks for your replies. I am learning much. So separates sounds like the way to go, and I see there are good threads with these pro-amps.

I want to know if I did get a Pro-amp such as a Crown or QSC, they push much to bring these RF-7's to a new level. However would I sacrifice the rest of the system if I only purcahse let say one of these QSC 2 channel amps and ran the rest off of a Receiver? I love music and movies and would probably listen to music in two channel only. However when it comes to Home Theatre I want the best set up for what I can afford. Thus would i cause a misbalance if I put so much power on the fronts that it would overpower the rest? I currently have new Rf-7's and an RC-64.

I welcome your input.

Dave

Everyone thanks for your replies. I am learning much. So separates sounds like the way to go, and I see there are good threads with these pro-amps.

I want to know if I did get a Pro-amp such as a Crown or QSC, they push much to bring these RF-7's to a new level. However would I sacrifice the rest of the system if I only purcahse let say one of these QSC 2 channel amps and ran the rest off of a Receiver? I love music and movies and would probably listen to music in two channel only. However when it comes to Home Theatre I want the best set up for what I can afford. Thus would i cause a misbalance if I put so much power on the fronts that it would overpower the rest? I currently have new Rf-7's and an RC-64.

I welcome your input.

Dave

In fact, a good first step might be to get quality 2 channel power...the rest to the receiver. Many people (me included) start on our way to separates this way. Don't worry about balance..you'll take care of this in set-up with either "auto" in the receiver's preamp section or get yourself a little radio shack SPL meter.

I don't have anything against QSC...well spoken of here.....Also, check AudioGon for a used Rotel RB-1080....great 2 channel amp. My solution started with the RB-1080 added to my receiver.....immediate 2 channel improvement with my RF-7....later added the RMB-1075 to get HT up to par....with both together giving 7 channel while isolating the front 2 for best 2 channel playback. Last step...changed the receiver for a pre-pro. Make a plan...don't have to buy it all at once....just map it out and before long you'll have it.

The Cary Audio Design Cinema 11 is getting some good buzz over on avsforum.com .

MSRP: $3000 I think. No video switching at this time. That will be a separate component in the near future.

A review was just done in this months Stereophile and it was the rave!

• 3 months later...

Guys,

This has been a great thread. As of to date I have the following:

RF-7 fronts

RC-64 - Center

I took everyones advise and read through these forums over the past couple of months and decided to treat my room first. I appreciate everyones posts here including Dr. Who, Arky, Fish amongst others.

I am now all complete building my own acoustic panels, and they will act as bass traps, absorbers and also one diffuser in my small room.

I have stumbled upon the QSC RMX 850 pro-amp as its a decent price. I have read many posts and really am considering this route. On the other hand I want to wait to see what Emotiva or Outlaw comes up with the end of the year/early next year.

Does anyone have experience or know enough if this QSC RMX 850 will work with the Rf-7's? Or any advice since this post has developed? I will probably be ready to purchase these items by late November.

Thanks

Dave

B&K is another maker of high current amplifiers that do well with the 7's, and often can be found on Audiogon. As far as their processor, I recently purchased B&K's Ref 50 Series 2 pre/pro and am happy with it, however there seems to have been many complaints about previous versions, Ref 20, 30 etc. But I can say that their amps run cool and quiet and I have never had a problem with them.

Ok

Thanks everyone, seems like the RMX 850 amp gives a good bang for the buck. Till now I have also been uneducated and dont know for the life of me why this did not register in my mind. For some reason I thought I had to purchase two power amps for each left and right speaker, but most of these have two channels, which means I only have to buy 1 amp for both the Rf-7 left and right. idefinately am thinking of such seperates because of the Rf-7 low impedance dip.

Question:

If I went for a power amp for the two fronts, and later got a receiver for the rest or got a different manuf amp and processor combo for the rest, wont there be a discoloration of sound between the fronts and the rest of the system?

I welcome your thoughts.

Dave

Your stereo (2 channel) amp & your multi-channel (rest of system) amp will be connected to the same multi-channel pre pro/receiver. If you choose to not buy a multi-channel amp & you buy a receiver instead of processor you will utilize the internal amps of said receiver to amplify (rest of system) spks.

My opinion, i'm more concerned about all spks matching rather than solid state amps matching assuming similar quality...

Hey I'm in Austin too :)

I don't have RF-7s, but have RF-83s.

I'm running a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXsi with an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 power amp. If you really shop around you can get this combo under 3 grand, or much less if you don't get such an expensive receiver.

Sounds great BTW