should i buy chorus or wait for chorus II

Scooter2

I have been looking into upgrading my speakers for some time now. I currently have a pair of KG4's which I love the sound of - I just need more of it! I bought them in 87 and I was thinking of selling them until I found these message boards and found out how desirable Klipsh Classic series speakers are - now I am afraid if I sell them I will regret selling such and important piece of history!

I decided my first choice was a set of Chorus II's - I did find a clean set of Chorus, but I have read they are inferior to the Chorus II's. any comment? The guy also has a pair of Forte II's.

I listen to a large variety of music from hard (loud) rock to classical - so maybe the current reference series from Klipsch would be better. (another post commented that certain Klipsch models have trouble with detail) Obviously I am grappling with very important life changing decisions here so any comments would be appreciated.

Current amp: Nakamichi AV-2 (sounds fine but scheduled to be upgraded when funds allow)

Subwoofer: I am all set here (15" Velodyne)

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you listen to any speakers you are consider buying first. You may decide you like the sound of your KGs better. If you cannot listen before buying, I think either the Chorus or Chorus II is a good speaker. IMHO Chorus II is not inferior to the Chorus, although they do sound slightly different to me. Main difference is the squawker. And the Chorus II has slightly better bass response.

I wouldn't worry too much about the decision. If you buy a particular model of Klipsch speaker used, and later decide its not your taste, you should be able to get back what you paid for it when you sell, if not make a profit.

Chorus has a 12' woofer and passive radiator,

the II's have a 15' woofer and passive.

I thought the squawkers are the same.

As far as differences, I don't know.

My guess is the Chorus has a little tighter

bass due to 12 incher's, and the II's get

lower and deeper due to 15'incher's.

I just don't know.

THANX!

Mike may be thinking about the Forte's but both Chorus speakers come with 15" woofers. They are also housed in identical cabinets. The II's come with a 15" passive radiator in the rear whereas the I's are ported. Like Malcolm said, the squawkers are also different. The II has the larger K-61-K squawker and the I comes with a K-57-K (same as the Cornwall II).

I happen to have both speakers and love them both. I currently have the I's as my mains (mostly because they're black and match the black C7) and my Oiled Oak II's in the rear. The II's used to occupy the front until I started to get some vibration off the back panel of one of them during loud bass passages. Until I can figure it out, I will leave them this way. With the SVS 20-39CS sub carrying most of the bass load, it doesn't really matter which ones I'm using as my mains as they both sound wonderful. If you can find a pair of either for less than $600, you won't be disappointed...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems