Yard Theater

PhilMays

Well I did it so to speak. I bought a cheap panasonic projector off ebay. This unit is a LCD and only supports 4:3 with 800 lumins and 800 x 600 resolution.

The best way I see to hook it up is by a simple "S" video cable.

My Thoughts are to set up a yard system for the kids to watch Shrek, Cars, Spongebob, or whatever.

The PLAN: Build a cheap screen out of sheets? or something else not too expensive. Mount the projector on a rolling cart with the amp below it. This unit will always be on the cart for easy manuvering. I'm thinking about some cheap SB type bookshelf speakers and I have the sub.

Any advise is appreciated, even if it's to say ditch it...no good...

Thanks, and the kids thank you as well.

You could use a 4x8 foot piece of drywall, painted white. This should work fine and be dead cheap, the surface is smooth enough, but the only thing being is that it is not waterproof. You would have to drag it in and out of the garage. Simple frame around the outside would work well.

Great ideas! I never considered sheet rock and I don't even know what gator board. Weight is critical for ease of usage. I'm going to check out gator board at Hobby Lobby today. If that doesn't pan out I'll look at the sheet rock. Both sound rigid as that was a concern for me.

Phil

Stretched art canvas is another option. Fairly weather resistant, paintable, and weighs very little. Stretch it over a PVC frame and should do well outside for many years.

I have seen this done actually using bungee cords and grommets to keep it tight.