help with rf7 setup

bignasty27

Hi there, I have been a lurker for awhile now and I've tried to read as much as I can but I thought Id still ask to be safe and get some new opinions. I am going to set up some Rf7's with the Rc7 center and i have the rsw15 for my sub. I dont have any surrounds yet but my first question would be....can i use rf15 as my rears or should i get the rs7?? I will be doing mostly HT but the wife enjoys the music from time to time. Space is not much of an issue for either the rs7s or the rf15s.

Next, i am still very much a newbie so please forgive my lack of knowledge in the amp area. I read the a rotel rm1080 would be a great fit for the rf7s and rmb1075 would be a perfect match as well? has anyone else heard this? could you suggest a rotel set up or perhaps an adcom set up?? which do you prefer??

I am also confused as to what a preamp does and if the 2 units i mentioned above are sufficent. Do I need a sound processor? I am not even sure what that does? could someone explain it a bit better and if i actually need this.

thanks in advance and this is a great forum!!!! love all the info

I would go with the RS7s. They are perfectly matched.

The RF7s (as well as the other R7 speakers) like good, clean power. I have an Outlaw 7700 amp (200 watts into all 7 channels). The RF7s really are alive with this amp. Any other good quality amp will work as well (Rotel, Adcom, Krell, NAD, etc....).

If you go with an AV Preamp, that will be the sound processor. It will decode Dolby Digital, DTS, and provide the controls for the material going to the amp. There are many good quality pre amps out there, and everyone has their personal favorites.

Perhaps a trip to a brick and mortar AV store to look and listen at what is out there should be planned.

You have the start of an excellent sounding system. A sound processor does what Chuck says, an amplifier amplifies the signal it receives. A receiver does both of the above in one box. However, it will use the same power supply that comes in that one box to accomplish both tasks. Separates, if good quality, will sound better. One box simply to amplify sound, one box to process sound. This will take more rack space though. Many like Rotel, B&K & Sunfire. I use a combo of Outlaw Audio & QSC. Many ways to get there. The important thing with rf-7's is to buy quality, clean power. I wouldn't buy anything less than 200 watts.

If you/your wife likes music, I wouldn't buy RS-7's. The sound is sprayed around. I prefer direct radiators like you mentioned which "localizes" the music. If you can afford it I would buy rf-35 or rf-5's for rears. Of course rf-7's back there would be best. The rf-7's may overpower rf-15's. Search the forum for rs-7 threads to see which you may prefer.

thanks for the help so far. we enjoy dvd concerts as well as cds so im not sure but it looks like surround more than 2 channel. difficult to figure out the amps though. some say no less than 200 watts per channel and others say because of the RF7s that anything over 100 should be fine. not sure what to do.

I've climbed the amplifier chain, from reveiver, to receiver w/outboard 105w amplifier, to receiver with 200w stereo amplifier, to tubed preamp with 250 watt monoblocks, all with the RF-7's. Each step up the ladder is a noticable improvement. And if you're really looking to get the most out of the 7's, Dean's crossover upgrade is a must.

While any amplifier will produce sound coming out of the RF-7 because of their high sensitivity, the 7's are a difficult load on an amplifier because of their impedance dips. Quality amplification is highly recommended regardless of your listening habits.