Newbie posting ...speaker selection

Michael Greenway

This is my first post so be easy on me. I just came out of a cave and realized that Klipsch has produced more speakers that the K-horns, LaScalas, Belles, Cornwalls, and Heresy. Having a pair of Heresy since 1980 and doing no more than playing CD's through a SAE series II amp wired to a Carver M500t I felt content. I finally bought a DVD player and saw the need for a surround sound Receiver. I bought the Yamaha RX-V2200. I am now wanting to add speakers. I was thinking of the SB-1's for rear surrounds and SC-1 for center with Heresy for fronts. I know this setup needs a sub. I also have a chance to get a pair of KLF-30s for front and could use Heresy for rears. I am guessing a KLF-C7 would do well for center. The Receiver has a rear center out so a third Heresy would work great but finding one may be difficult. Anybody want to jump in on this?

I am getting closer to my decision. Space is a big consideration at this time. The wife and I are looking to buy/build new house within year. Media room is big on my list but until then I have to think small. SB-1 for rear surrounds, RC-3, and for $900 I can't pass on the KLF-30's. I always wanted Cornwalls and these are as close to them as I can get. When in new house...who knows!

This message has been edited by Michael Greenway on 12-20-2001 at 10:26 PM

I think I would try to get into the KLF 30's with the C7. You could use your Heresy's as surrounds or save them for a 2 channel setup and pick up some RS-7 or RS3II's for surrounds. I'd go with the RS-7's to try and keep up with the dual 12's in the 30's.

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

"I just came out of a cave..." Michael, that's pretty dangerous talk these days (LOL).

Having been weaned on Heritage speakers, you would be well served to listen to the current line-up (even the not-current KLF's) to see if they are to your liking. The KLFs are possibly the closest recent model to the Heritage speakers in terms of sound (slam and "in your face" factor). However, you might just find that nothing will do but that Heritage sound. If that's the case, get a 3rd Heresy for a center speaker (heck, get another pair for the rear...or just buy 2 pairs and use one pair for the rears and another pair for front/rear centers). Combined with a nice sub, it would sound great.

Doug

------------------

My System

I believe I came out of the cave to buy Forte II. Of course I love them in what is admittedly a small room.

I'm a believer in more bass is best and getting horn loading as low as possible in a given application. They fit the bill for me.

I actually think about finding two more pair and I'd be set for six channel sound.

Of course everyone faces compromises due to money, room, and number of speakers. Klipsch has always met price points. So there is really nothing wrong to going over to the new series.

If you want to stick with Heritage, I think you'd be well served with additional Heresies augmented by a sub. It is one way to go, but not the only way.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 12-20-2001 at 09:55 PM

If you like the sound of your Heresies, 5 or 6 Heresies and a good sub can make a nice HT setup. That is what I have, and I love it. With the sub, I don't think you would notice you don't have Cornwalls, at least with your eyes closed. And, For the $900 you'll pay for the two KLF-30s.

OTOH KLF-30s would make the basis for a good HT system, too. You'll want a good sub whichever route you take.

IMHO, center channel selection is the most important thing in HT. Most of the sound in a movie comes out of it most of the time. It has to be timbre matched to the front left and right front speakers so that the sound moves seamless from side to side.

SC-1 is not a good choice for a center to go between two Heresies. Best choice is another Heresy of the same vintage. If you want that center channel form factor, IMHO the best choices are Academy, KV-4 and KLF-C7, in that order. The KLF-C7 is the only one of them that is reasonably easy to find.

KLF-C7 would be a good match for the KLF-30s. And, although not timbre matched with the KLFs, the Heresys might work as rears for you depending on how picky you are about timbre match. For me, timbre match is important even with the rears now that we have full range rear channel sound.

So, looks like KLF-C7 would be a good choice for you.

Finding Heresies is not difficult. More show up on eBay every week. With the exception of my first pair, which I bought new at the local dealer in 1972, that is where I got mine. My best deal was $185 for a pair made in 1965. Most seem to be going for around $400 a pair, plus or minus $50. A few pairs go for over $500. I'll bet you can find them locally, too, if you live in or near a reasonable size town and look for them, probably for less than eBay. Finding a single Heresy might be more difficult than a pair and command a small premium. Probably better to buy a pair and sell one if you don't need it.

If you get more Heresies to go with what you have, I would suggest you try to find some of the same vintage so they all have the same tweeter, squawker, and crossover: K-77 or K-77-M, K-55-V or K-53-K, and Type C, E, or E2. This should not be hard to do with your 1980 models. At least avoid the very last Heresies with the K-53-K squawker driver. It sounds a bit different than what you have.