OT: XP reinstall on laptop

Daddy Dee

I've got this old Dell 9100 laptop that had gotten to the place it just needed a reformat and reinstall for XP. Did this, reformatted (not quick) the hard drive and went through the screens to install XP. It seems to be running o.k. but it never did prompt me for the product key. Thought that was odd.

Also have been unable to get the wireless card working after two install attempts. The software says all is good and is connected to the router but the card is unable to get an IP address. Repair option ends with unable to renew IP address.

Proably a different problem here, but this has all been routine stuff before.

Antique laptops. love em.

Because it is a proprietory OS the serial prompt might be on the small hidden portion of your drives. A lot of

hidden stuff in that 8 meg segment on your hard drive. That's why the pro's double zero the drive first. The wireless card

thing is one thing and the network OS stuff is another. The wireless driver must be enabled in XP. Follow the

instructions from scratch from the wireless card install book.

JJK

Here's a trick I used....if it does not make any sense to you...asked someone over that has been thru it.

a. assign a static IP address to the card. something like 192.168.1.5 (assuming your router's IP is 192.168.1.1), use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a DNS address of 192.168.1.1 (your routers IP).

b. reboot your machine, and test for internet access.

c. go to microsoft update website and do a complete windows update.

d. remove the statci entries and set up the laptop for the default DHCP settings and reboot the machine.