Outlaw ICBM

boa12

i was looking for a device like this before to be able to adjust the crossovers with big speaks & a sub. will work if u have a seperate power amp or some way to put it in the loop between your preamp & amp. or of course between a dvdp & the direct inputs on a receiver

or preamp. looks like a great deal at $250 www.outlawaudio.com anybody using 1 of these?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa,

What kinds of things can I do with it? I have the Denon 4800 (no bass mgmt) and am using the front 3 pre-outs to a Acurus A200X3. I am also using the sub pre-out to a Samson S700 amp and then wired to a SVS 20-39CS (which has no bass mgmt). I also have a DVD-A player using the External Inputs on my 4800. Would I be able to adjust the bass settings in this configuration? If so, how?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

Here's a link to Outlaws FAQ page which covers some Product & Installation Questions regarding the Outlaw's ICBM Bass Management System. Its use is dependent on ones system set-up and components.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/support/faq_topics.html#

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 12-20-2001 at 05:42 PM

thanks for that link wes. i put this up as a public service anouncement Smile.gif as i already went & got a pre/pro w/ adjustable crossovers. though could maybe use something like this w/ my marantz sr8000 in the future.

mike, i would think u'd just put it between your 3 denon preouts & your acurus. icbm between your denon sub preout & svs amp. leave the surrounds connected to

the denon & set them small & the front 3 large. again i haven't used 1 of these but that seems the way to me.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks guys for the responses. I read the FAQ but it seems to me it's for DVD-A only in my case. Are you saying I can use it regardless of the source I'm playing? Cd's, DVD movies, DVD music, DVD-A, Cable? I guess I will also have to get 4 more interconnects as well? Does it ever end? Smile.gif

boa, why would I set the mains and center to Large? Wouldn't this send even less of a signal to the sub? If I'm not mistaken, my C7 only goes down to 75hz so that channel would of course be set differently from my mains. But based on what you're telling me, I would have bass management for my front soundstage by wiring it the way you mentioned? Do you think this piece could benefit me with my existing setup? Hey, how about all these questions, huh? Can you tell I don't know what the hell I'm doing? Biggrin.gif

Mike

Edit: I had never read the page that Wes put a link to until now. It looks as though I should be able to run interconnects from the Denon pre-outs (FL, C, FR, Sub) to the ICBM and then from there to the Acurus and Samson amps. It also states to set all the speakers you're sending to the ICBM to "Large", so that the ICBM gets the full signal. I will download the User's Manual to get more info but would still like some input from you guys. Has anybody heard any input on the Outlaw cables?

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-21-2001 at 09:17 AM

mike, yea the icbm manual has some good info on bass mgmt. too. your denon does have bass mgmt, but has a fixed 80hz crossover for speakers set small. i've been complaining about that standard ad naseum Smile.gif problem w/ that thx fixed standard is it's really applicable for smaller satellite speaks & a sub. w/ that we might as well just buy 5 or 7 klipsch center speaks & a nice sub.

u should probably have your rears set to small on the denon already so that lower bass goes to the svs. then

it'll send that bass to the fronts/center large to icbm

where u can filter a cross of 40 or 60hz for the fronts

& like 80hz for the center. that way u get the use of the icbm for all sources.

possible downside is on your dvd audio using the direct inputs, the back channels not connected to the icbm would get full range like a large setting. that could be good or bad depending on room, etc.

so u could do that, or use the icbm just between your dvdp & denon, or get more amps to use for the surround/rear channels (that's another thing, wish more receivers would put on power amp inputs, but only a few of the higher end seem to do that).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

mike, they do have that 30 day trial return so i'd definitely try it. especially w/ your dvd-audio direct analog connections. there u have no bass mgmt & it could really help.

i got this new b&k pre/pro & it has adjustable crossover in 5hz steps all the way from 20hz up. adjustable slopes too. it has really improved my low & low mid bass in that it allows the klf-30 & cornwalls to cover more in the 40-80hz range while not taking my velo sub all the way up there (i have mine set at 50hz for now). & it's universal here so the C7s also go lower but that hasn't been a big problem.

the icbm is even better in that regard as it allows seperate settings for each channel group. would have been better if it had variable cross instead of steps.

for the chorus & svs, 40hz could be too low & 60hz may not make a real noticable dif.

i'd definitely try it for the dvd-audio connection.

& i'd try it w/ a receiver w/ fixed 80hz or higher crossover & w/ those bigger tower speaks. though u'd have to test it there to really decide best.

------------------

My Home Systems Page