Members Weekly Music Recommendatons-June 18

thebes

In a very much appreciated effort to stir up participation down here, Seti posted a very nice thread up in 2 Channel called "Music". OB and I have both weighed in and if you guys get a chance maybe a bump would be in order. I like many, am not a huge fan of advertising, but given the short attention span that seems to be built right into this whole internet forum thing it's not a bad idea to remind folks every now and then that this little music thread exists.

Donald Fagen. "The Nightfly" , smooth rock, lp. This was Steely Dan's Donald Fagen's first solo effort recorded in 1982 and the lyrics muse mostly about an imaginary young man growing up in the 1950's. Very much like a Steely Dan outing with wonderful ambiance , excellent instrumentals and his voice paints a mood on every song. One of the first all digital recordings made from the ground up it has a certain almost well recorded cd sound to it. I also have this on Cd but if you can pick up a good copy of the lp you will be truly amazed at how well it sounds. Actually much better than the cd.

Great album and an excellent test record to boot.

So what do you have to share this week?

Another week already.............think I'll go over some DVD's this week....I'll do MY favorite Top 5 DVD Concerts I have, of course that changes from time to time, but as of Today ;

1. Delbert McClinton Live in Texas.............this is an Austin City Limits Show from 1982, I would say, the middle part of Delbert's career, he is just awesome, love his voice, his sorta' lil devil presentation of his songs, and what a band behind him. Just a great set, makes me want more Delbert. This disc NEVER fails to put a smile on my face, when things aren't too cool...............[:D]

2. Rolling Stones, the Bigger Bang.............just got this, I know they play the same songs, but never the same way, twice. Many songs they have never done live before............good camera work, 2 channel dolby, 5.1 dolby,and DTS, good sound.......not for everyone.......4 DVD's...as many times as Satisfaction has been played, it still makes me smile..............OLD DAWGS............[&][Y]

3. Eric Clapton, One more Car, One More Rider............if your looking for a DVD to scan Eric's career, here you go, this disc covers it all, and is probably the last time EC uses this band. They have backed him for 20+ years of solid back-up to the Masters Guitar, and quite frankly, I think his voice is better with age............Damn Old yardbird, anyway.............What a career Mr. Clapton is having.............[H]

4. LED ZEPPELIN............The 2 disc set.....I confess, I don't play this much, but when I do, I realize the Greatness of this band. The sound of these disc's is great, and Mr. Page's guitar work is flat out awesome, what a talented young man he was, another of those damn Yardbirds, go figure. I am a Rolling Stones fan to my death, but these guys owned the 70's..........Jimmy, Robert Plant, the frontman, Bonzo, on the drums, and the roundly talented John Paul Jones..........one of the few bands that deserved Supergroup status...the acoustic set on the second disc is worth the price alone, this was a no-[bs] band..............did I mention they could sing the Blues?............[Y]

5. Boy, this is a tough choice...so I won't list one, I'll do a couple, just titles............AC/DC...Live at Donnington..Flat out Guitar attack, my favorite AC/DC............Tom Petty and the Heartbeakers....High Grass Dogs...let's get to the point....indeed...........The Last Waltz, the Band, you either already know about this one, AWESOME Disc..............Jerry Lee Lewis, the Last Man Standing.....the KILLER Lives........

That's it for this week....I hope response grows on here...but, it won't, we'll just argue about stereo equipment,who's is best, what speakers are best, CD's or Vinyl.............Me, I'll guess I'll stay in my basement room, and do some MUSIC, I think that's why I bought my equipment.............

The American Metaphysical Circus by Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies

Wikipedia describes it well: The American Metaphysical Circus is a landmark psychedelic recording of the late 1960's, largely unique in having remained in print for nearly 20 years. It was recorded by Joesph "Joe" Byrd after his departure from the band The United States Of America, and featured some of the earliest recorded work in rock music utilizing extensive use of synthesizers and vocoder, along with an extended group of West Coast studio musicians he named as "Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies".

The album is most noted for "The Sub-Sylvian Litanies" which opened Side A. This three part-suite has been described as "an entire acid trip in 11 minutes". Other album highlights include the similarly-oriented...

The album's cult status was confirmed by its presence in the Columbia Masterworks catalog for an estimated twenty years with estimated sales of over 100,000 units. Prior to its re-release, mint vinyl copies of The American Metaphysical
Circus were sold by collectors for prices sometimes in excess of $100US.

I have bought this album a couple of times; I like it so much I keep giving it away! I just received my last copy (sealed new) from LPNOW.com

post-16099-13819334847078_thumb.jpg

This is way to good, to bad!

Here last week, guna be here next.

It will be to me as "I" hear it" no matter what others may think or have!

IHMO this week............ GERRY RAFFERTY..........many aspects to his style. He has many mentors. His "Steven Stills" comes acrossed really nice. Give him a try (up to you) one can never know!..........

ENJOY!

PaulN, 

Thanks for the suggestion! I consulted my friend and expert in all things 60's and 60's culture about this recommendation. The first thing he said "you haven't heard that my god whats wrong you been in a cave or something" and the he proceeds to tell me about the band their history and how he met the elusive Joe Byrd in LA. He always does that to me not only has he heard of it he has met him and has an autographed album... The bastard lol. Anyhow he put that on the list of records for us to listen to so hopefully this week I'll get to listen to it...

Stump-A-Fierce-Pancake02.jpgflanfierce2.jpg

This weeks recommendation is an album I have been enjoying off and on since 1987 STUMP - A FIERCE PANCAKE. Imagine a combo of The Pogues, Captain Beefheart, They Might Be Giants with their own unique spin.

Here is another persons take on STUMP.

Sounding at times like The Pogues (if the Pogues drank several bottles of Robitussin, and then fell down the stairs of their practice loft with all of their instuments still plugged in) and often compared to Captain Beefheart, STUMP left me with a love of "wobbley sounding" music. The Pogues comparisons are mainly due to their Irishness, and use of several traditional Irish instruments. Singer Mick Lynch wrote "silly" lyrics about fat American tourists, alcohol abuse and Thatcher as the captain of a sinking ship (it was the 80's), while the band composed warping, rubbery, tumbling music. A couple of videos on 120 Minutes, and then they were gone. I recommend finding their only proper lp "A Fierce Pancake".

If you like really interesting truly inventive original sounding experimental records this one is for you. This album will always be in my collection and is sheer fun

stump_chaosvid_02.jpg

STUMP - A FIERCE PANCAKE

The Pomus and Shuman story-Double Trouble 1956-1967

These guys wrote many of the hits of the 50's, many of which you'd recognize, and that I had no idea they wrote. I got on a Doc Pomus kick after hearing Shawn Colvin's rendition of "Viva Las Vegas" on the Big Lebowski soundtrack.

Had to order the Doc Pomus tribute album from a used dealer to find it: "Till the Night is Gone-a tribute to Doc Pomus".

A blast from the past but well worth a listen.

In a very much appreciated effort to stir up participation down here, Seti posted a very nice thread up in 2 Channel called "Music".  OB and I have both weighed in and if you guys get a chance maybe a bump would be in order.  I like many, am not a huge fan of advertising, but given the short attention span that seems to be built right into this whole internet forum thing it's not a bad idea to remind folks every now and then that this little music thread exists.

I think perhaps some people don't explore new music like they used to do. Maybe they have the same music they did 20 years ago and don't want anything new. Not me I am always looking for that song that begs me to play it over and over again until I am sick of it and then NEXT!