Muffled Dialog!!! What is going on here? Please Help

sthebody

My system consists of a Yamaha RX-V595 receiver, KSP-C6 a pair of KSP-S6, pair of RB5II's and a KSW12. When watching movies the dialog from the KSP-C6 seems muffled. I have noticed the same thing when playing music through the RB5's. I have tried many different placement options but that didn't seem to help. My Yamaha is only rated at 70 watts/channel. Do you guys think this could be my problem. I have always thought wattage wasn't that important if you have efficient speakers and it is good clean power - which I think I have. Has anybody else experienced this problem with any of their stuff. I am thinking about getting a new receiver to solve the problem (as soon as I can) but am afraid that may not fix anything. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Please give us more information.

Is this a new installation, or an established one which went out of kilter.

I'd agree that the last thing you want to do is go out and find a bigger amp. That is the least likely source of the problem.

When I have a problem, I start by going to the least complicated set up. Maybe for you, just the front two channels, and all default settings on the receiver. Then build up the complexity until you find where things go wrong.

Gil

Although I do not know anything about the Yamy, I'd check the easy stuff first.

All wires connected correctly, in phase, any stray wires touching the oppisite post?

Replace the C6 with another speaker to make sure that the speaker is indeed OK.

Is it muffled only on that one source, check interconnects.

Just a few things to try and narrow it down.

It should really crank with 70 watts.

------------------

Paul Ward

my home theater www.brookesbakersurveyors.com/klipschht.htm

70/watts per channel is just fine.

In addition to what has already been mentioned...

The muffled dialog with movies sounds like receiver setup issue to me. Most receivers have lots of modes they can operate in. Some receivers keep track of separate modes for each input. Sometimes picking the wrong mode can cause something like this. Sometimes modes get inadvertently changed. Are you sure the receiver is set to the right mode?

Could also be relative levels you have the speakers set to. Your center is about 2 dB less efficient than your mains. So it needs to be set accordingly. Have you checked the levels of your speakers?

Could be wiring. Are you actually getting anything out of the center channel? If the receiver is set up properly for a center channel, and the speaker is not connected, you will get very muffled dialog, just a bit from the left and right channels.

Not sure what you mean by the same thing when playing music. There isn't any dialog with music. Could you explain this problem differently?

The best way to trouble shoot a problem like this is first check the very simple things as mentioned then swap speakers from channel to channel and even use another AV receiver if you have on. Just to make sure thats not the problem. I'm sure it wont be hard to locate where the problem is coming from doing this.

You may be hearing characteristic differences between the RB-5 and the KSP-C6. Here is an easy experiment. Swap the C-6 and one of your RB-5's. Use the RB-5 as the center speaker keeping in mind that there is an efficiency difference between the two models and you'll have to reset your channel balance/levels. If you hear a big improvement, then you are just noticing the clarity difference between the two speakers. You might consider switching center speakers to a RC-3II or an RC-7. If you don't hear an improvement, then it's an amp issue.

• 9 months later...

A little late - but thank you for all the suggestions. I am going to post this reply just in case somebody else actually reads my post and has the same question. The only problem I had was that I needed to angle the center channel down towards my listening area....HUGE HUGE difference. I bought some screws with rubber coated heads and screwed them into the holes on the bottom of the center channel and wow what a difference. Now I am looking right up the throat of the horn from my listening position. As far as the sound from the RB5II's - after the first month of listening the problem just seemed to go away. I don't know if I just got used to the sound of the RB's or if there was a bit of a break in period. I do know that my RB5's seem to sound better everytime I give em listen. Thanks.