Any Klipsch transmission line speakers?

Jeff,

There are some Klipsch engineers and others on this forum who have a base of knowledge on the history Klipsch R&D. In my limited view into the history, I haven't been aware of TL in the mix as something pursued, though PWK would most certainly have been conversant in theory if not in lab experience.

The folded horn, in my understanding is a different typology.

Based on Paul's writings, and comments I heard him make in person, I think he considered TLs not an avenue worth pursuing.

I've built TLs myself, and here's my take:

If you have limited floorspace, but can accomodate a tall, skinny cabinet, and you are economically constrained to a two-way design, then a TL can work well.

Once you have a bigger budget, more floorspace, and the equipment/software to model other boxes (vented sealed and horn) you should graduate from TLs.

TLs began in the 1930s as a way to lower the resonance of the high resonant speakers of the time. I think Stromberg-Carlson and Philco started this idea. For the amount of woodworking involved-and TLs need not be made of wood-a vented box will have better response. A TL will not make a cheap driver sound better. However, a two-way TL has one advantage over a vented or sealed box: The part of the midrange the woofer carries in a TL is cleaner and has little of the boxy, chesty coloration of a vented or sealed box, using the same driver and crossed over at the same point. This is because the 'early reflections" inside the TL are much less than that of a conventional box with sidewalls close to the back of the woofer.

One aspect of TLs, not well explored, is their use for direct radiator midranges. I've seen only two designs (one of them a Fried, I think) that used a TL for the midrange. A TL for the mid can avoid the in-band box resonances that are a problem with the usual midrange "back cup".

The Audio Asylum board has a very energetic TL group.