Help needed...soon-to-be first time Klipsch owner.

Nooks

I have a 5.1 Bose single cube surround sound system that I am upgrading. I am really close to pulling the trigger and purchasing a Klipsch Reference Series line of speakers. I don't know much about speakers, audio, or home theater, so this is all very new to me. My knowledge solely consists of what i've heard in stores and what i've read online in the past week. Anyway, thought i would come here and get some advice.

I am looking at getting this set-up:

RF82 - $499/piece

RC52 - $299

RS42 - $225

RW10 - $499

I listened to this setup at the store and it sounded GREAT. felt like i was in a movie theater. However, the more research i have done makes me question the mismatching of the different speakers. Is this really going to be a big deal? I would appreciate some advice on this.

Also, are these good speakers for the price, or would you recommend a different Klipsch series?

Finally, the guy at the store recommended I upgrade my receiver. I currently have a Sony STR-DE825 that I bought in 1998. The specs on this receiver is as follows: 100W x5 Channels - Dolby Digital - 4 Audio inputs/ 1 Audio output - 4 Video inputs/ 3 Video outputs - 3 Optical digital inputs/ 1 Optical digital output/ 1 Coaxial digital input

The guy at the store recommended i get the Yamaha RXV661 receiver. Do I need to upgrade receivers? Is the Yamaha RXV661 the one you would recommend? They have it priced at $479.00.

Thank you very much for your advice.

If your dropping that much money in one store I would try to get a RC62 for no more than $360. If they would not go for it I would give him my phone # and walk out the door and wait for him to call you.

That really is a great idea...Thats how I got my RC-62 for $375...I purchased a pair of RF-63's from the same guy about a week prior, and walked in knowing I wanted an RC-62, I asked if there were and sales going on he says no, I suggest that the $450 price tag is a little too high and begin to leave, he says there might be a sale going on, talks to his manager and boom...$375 for an RC-62...

Thats the one nice thing about going to stores where sales people work on commission. Of course the RC-62 is fairly large for a center channel so be sure, if you purchase one, that you have somewhere to put it, I had to build a hutch of sorts in order to support the 30lb beast of a speaker.

I'd definitely go for the RC62. It's a much better match to the RF82's and the center channel is so so important in movies. You may also want to consider the RW12d rather than the 10. If you can afford it go for the RSW10d.

I'd also hold off on upgrading your receiver for a few months. Most of the major manufacturers should be releasing their new models soon, Onkyo already has and Yamaha should next month. That will push the price down on older models and you might be able to snag one for $100's less.

I'd definitely go for the RC62. It's a much better match to the RF82's and the center channel is so so important in movies.

Totally agreed.... I managed to haggle the price down to $350 on my RC-62. Needless to say, it helped that I was buying 5 speakers at the time.[:)] Make no mistake.... the RC52 is a good center speaker and a good choice, but the RC62 is a better mate.

And yes... hold off on the receiver upgrade for now. You can afford to wait until after you're "speaker" situated before you upgrade the receiver.

I would say you don't need a new receiver to make your speakers work. Certainly you're going to find the speakers very capable and a good investment for the future.

My thought is that any receiver will have to work with the rest of your HT system. The output to speakers is not a big issue now, IMHO.

In the future you'll be thinking about a new video display and a player for Blu-ray or HD-DVD, cable and satellite. Those technologies (including connection types) and price points are changing rapidly. They will have an influence on what receiver is right for you. As you might know, many people are delaying buying hardware (not including speakers) until the various "wars" are settled; or at least calm down.

It makes some sense to give your bank account a rest and experiment with the speakers.

Sound and Vision magazine is a decent source of information re the ongoing evolution of techology. You should be able to find a subscription for about $1 a copy. You have to read with a grain of salt in some cases.

Of course it is hard to tell when to jump on the merry-go-round. The months after Christmas might be a good target.

Gil