dean g'd rc-7 or rc-64

masterxela

seems that the "normal" running price for used rc-7's is around 400 and the dean upgrade is 190=$590

new rc-64 is $750. $160 isn't enough to deter me from either, I want the one that I'll be happy with in 5 years, and not wondering if the other would have sounded better

any thoughts? (mains are dean g'd rf-7's)

thanks

The answer is it depends. The RC-64 is probably the better choice between the two for most people. Why? Because most display devices (TVs) will NOT support a big center channel. Most center channels will need to go UNDER the TV, because most TVs will be some form of flat panel etc.

If you do not have to put a center speaker under the TV now or in the future, then go for the RC-7 with Dean's upgrade. It is better to have a center above the TV rather than below it according to published research. It sounds more natural.

With the RC-7, the key frequencies produced by the woofers will only come from one driver. Hence, little or no comb filtering.

Bill

I remember the rc-7 was a very tall center and will not fit in many tv stands or center speaker areas made in most furniture. Hence the rc64 uses 6.5 inch instead of 8 inch drivers. Also I sorta like the idea of 4 speakers with different crossovers vesus 2 speakers with different crossovers, sounds more symetrical to me

I certainly will throw in my vote for the RC-64 to go with the RF-7's. I just personally think the 64 sounds a little more natural than the 7, but both are pretty darn good speakers. And now for the semi-canned response: see if you can get a dealer to give you both to audition in your room with your system and see what matches your tastes best.

thanks for the replies. didn't think of doing the a/b, it won't have the dean upgrade, but i can do a new rc-64 and a normal rc-7 easily.

if they were the same price, id go 64 without even hearing it, just because ive heard an rc-7. not the best, or my own environment for sure, but mid bass was a little boomy, like most other "smallish" ported speakers sound to me.

I remember the rc-7 was a very tall center and will not fit in many tv stands or center speaker areas made in most furniture. Hence the rc64 uses 6.5 inch instead of 8 inch drivers. Also I sorta like the idea of 4 speakers with different crossovers vesus 2 speakers with different crossovers, sounds more symetrical to me

I know when I made my custome stand, I didn't take into proper consideration the height of center channel speakers that I would look at as upgrades... my slot is unfortunately about 1/4" to short to accomadate an RC-7 :\

1.75 vs 1.25" driver behind that horn. 10" v 6" drivers. I have not A/B'd them but quite a difference in driver complement.

Yep & throwing Dean's network into the equation makes it no contest.

Alex: falcon wants mine, sorry.

1.75 vs 1.25" driver behind that horn. 10" v 6" drivers. I have not A/B'd them but quite a difference in driver complement.

the new 1.25 driver is not a downgrade at all... Also its more like two 8 inch drivers versus four 6.5 inch drivers

the new 1.25 driver is not a downgrade at all... Also its more like two 8 inch drivers versus four 6.5 inch drivers

2*4^2*pi = 100.53 square inches RC7 cone surface area

woofer Two K-1083-SB 8" (20.32cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame

4*3.25^2*pi = 132.73 square inches RC64 cone surface area

Quad 6.5" (16.5cm) High-output Cerametallic cone woofers