new DVD player for xmas...

b-man1

my g/f got me the JVC XVFA95GD 7-disc progressive scan DVD player for christmas. one thing i have a question about is about the audio hookup. i currrently use the optical output, but also have the choice for analog 5.1 as well as the coaxial. i know the analog is not the way to go, but what is better: optical or coaxial? or can i hook both up and assign 1 as DVD input and the other as CD/audio-DVD input on the receiver?

thanks-

Unless you have a really good cable for optical, I would go with coaxial. It should be better. With a high end optical cable, you might want to use that.

Try both if you allready have cables, and see what you like more.

Im not sure on that by the way, not an expert

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

Actually, because the Player you own is a DVD-Audio model, the Analog outputs would be a very good way to hook it up. That is the only way you will get the DVD-A music to the receiver. As far as the Optical/Digital Coax debate, you'll get different opinions from different people, probably about 50/50. My opinion: You probably wouldn't hear any difference between the two. If you wanted to hook up both, I'm sure the JVC would let you do that, it probably even outputs both at the same time. That would also be a way to do your A/B comparison. But if you want to use the DVD Audio, you must use Analog 5.1 Outputs.

b-man1,

I believe that using either the digital coaxial or optical output will bypass the DAC in your DVD player and the DAC in your receiver would be used. This if fine if the DAC in your receiver is better than the DAC in the DVD player, but hence toddvj's post about not getting DVD Audio. So, I agree that you want the analog connection to use DVD Audio. I'll bet the DAC in your DVD player will do a great job.

For kicks, and if you want to spend the money on the cables, you should be able to hook up the coaxial and optical as well and re-assign the inputs and switch between them (depending on your receiver).

For example, I have a cheap Sony DVP-NC600 DVD player hooked to my Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver. I believe the DAC in my receiver to be the better DAC. I have the analog and coaxial run into the DVD connection on my receiver, and the optical connection assigned to CD. I can switch between the three inputs as I want to, which is probably overkill. Doubt I would do this if I had a better CD/DVD player. I find coaxial and optical both to be very good, but slightly different. I prefer the coaxial connection slightly on my system.

--------------

KLF-20 mains

KLF-C7 center

Infinity bookshelf rears (to be KSP-S6s)

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony DVP-NC600

Mitsubishi SVHS

Monster interconnects and speaker cables