cleaning out my closet

ZAKO

Pete.....Sheltie dave will contact you.....For a personal delivery. I have a old SME 3009 but i dont think its worthey.... Cart,s come in so many price,s Chicago is full of them (new) MM or MC .. I prefer moving coil. Ortophon..

Anybody we know that got the TD124? 4 or 5 of here have one of those. We like to talk about them too.

Hi Scott, I spoke up for the 124. As they say, the check is in the mail.

Hope I can lean on you guys for some advice?

Initially thinking of hunting down an SME 3009 but I dont have a clue on a cart?

Thanks, Pete

Pere,

Congratulations. Allan Songer has harped about the Ortofon SPU's for years, I finally got around to trying one out.... I'm liking it quite a bit. Replacing the bargain Denon DL-103. Allan always said it's the best cart for jazz, but I am having no problem with rock. I don't listen to jazz. So there is something to the Thorens 124/SME 3009/SPU combination that seems to work well. New SPU's can be had for a decent price from the Hong Kong guy Juki. If you're looking for a moving magnet, I've had good luck with the Goldring 1042 on the SME3009

Once you get the 124, feel free to ask questions. They're pretty funky little machines that can take some time to figure out how to get the best out of them if they've been sitting for a while.

SCOTT.....That thorens came out in the earley 60s ....Remember at that time there werent that many tone arms..Thorens had one, Ortophon, Fairchild, SME,,, it had nothing to do with synergy and turntable match. If you went to pro stuff you had,,,Grey, Fairchild, EMT, all tone arms were as big as tanks, and tracked like them. You could kill some one with one blow. So the SME looked different in mass and shape. A good looker for its time.

I am really looking forward to getting this 124 playing tunes again.
My system is pretty much 60's vintage except for my TT.
I like my SOTA but always wanted either a 124 or a 301.
Should be a fun project.

Thanks for the tips Scott. Im sure I will be starting a new post when it comes to head scratching time.
I never tried this before. I hope I can get it right:)

And thanks Maron for the great deal and the additional literature.

The best, Pete

SCOTT.....That thorens came out in the earley 60s ....Remember at that time there werent that many tone arms..Thorens had one, Ortophon, Fairchild, SME,,, it had nothing to do with synergy and turntable match. If you went to pro stuff you had,,,Grey, Fairchild, EMT, all tone arms were as big as tanks, and tracked like them. You could kill some one with one blow. So the SME looked different in mass and shape. A good looker for its time.

Maron,

I've got like 30 some turntables from the 50's 60's and 70's and have tried many arm/table/cartridge combinations. Chicago Pete said he was going to put an SME on the Thorens so I'm just saying... if he is, the SPU is a good choice of cartridges. Regardless of whether there were one or one hundred arms in the 60's it's a nice combination.

I like my SOTA but always wanted either a 124 or a 301.

I have a 124 with SME 3012, and I just got a Garrard 401 with SME 3009. I know that 401 is only temporary as I always wanted a grey 301.[:)]

Kudret

Hey Kudret,

The 401 might be a better turntable but the grey 301's are very cool. I finally got mine up an running after a couple of years of tinkering with it.

post-15692-13819338896134_thumb.jpg

Hey Kudret,

The 401 might be a better turntable but the grey 301's are very cool. I finally got mine up an running after a couple of years of tinkering with it.

Scott,

You always have the nicest pieces I've ever seen, and this is no exception. Is that an early version SME 3012?

I also heard that 401 sounds better but I like the looks of 301 better. 301 costs so much more though.

Kudret

You're quite welcome Pete. Not sure if any of these in your ballpark would be a good fit for that table (Scott or Allan might be able to say) but I think these are fair arms[;)]

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1189111461

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1188575150

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1186851490

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1187499423 threw this one in but I have no clue about this arm!

Best of luck on your seach Pete[:D]