how to increase sub 12 bass output?

dz2k

hi. i have denon 2807 receiver and all klipsch speakers. klipsch 12 650wt sub, center, 2 floor, 2 s-2 surrounds. the sub is doing hardly NOTHING. this is ridicoulous. do i raise the gain? do i mess w/ the lowpass? i want that sub to pound every now and then. the center and the mains sound good but i get nothing hardly from my surrounds nor my subwoofer. plz give advice. thx. btw, ive tried just LFE in denon s/w settings by itself and the sub then absolutely does nothing it seems. ill check back about midnight for the great advice from u geniuses!!!

What are you using as a source? What does the Denon display for your signal? Did you run the Auto setup for the receiver using the supplied microphone? If the setup was completed did you get output from the SUB during the tests tones? Is it the SUB12 or the RW12d model that you have?

Generally you set the lowpass on the sub as high as it goes or disabled. Set all speakers to SMALL, and the crossover on the Denon around 80hz to start. Turn the gain to the sub about 1/2 way. Play a Dolby Digital or a DTS DVD, and you should have subwoofer action. Saving Private Ryan is a good title to test your system. If you are only decoding PLIIx, there may not be a lot of surround or LFE.

Yes, definitely start with the Denon manual. Not all listening modes (Stereo, Direct, etc...) treat the bass the same depending on whether or not your speakers are set to large/small or your LFE to sub/both.

I suggest you set all your speakers to small and then every mode directs bass to the subwoofer. And then you need to make sure your sub is intergrated properly with the mains (room acoustics and phase cancellations can make any sub have no output whatsoever, despite how big it is).

What are you using as a source? What does the Denon display for your signal? Did you run the Auto setup for the receiver using the supplied microphone? If the setup was completed did you get output from the SUB during the tests tones? Is it the SUB12 or the RW12d model that you have?

Generally you set the lowpass on the sub as high as it goes or disabled. Set all speakers to SMALL, and the crossover on the Denon around 80hz to start. Turn the gain to the sub about 1/2 way. Play a Dolby Digital or a DTS DVD, and you should have subwoofer action. Saving Private Ryan is a good title to test your system. If you are only decoding PLIIx, there may not be a lot of surround or LFE.

my stuff:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7039527&st=klipsch&type=product&id=1099395911174 (SW)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6781299&st=klipsch&type=product&id=1091101346000 (Floor)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6781342&st=klipsch&type=product&id=1091101346254 (Surrounds)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6780717&st=klipsch&type=product&id=1091101345782 (Center)

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3038.asp denon 2807 receiver

JVC 27" tv

i dunno why some of u morons even answer. dont u have better things to do than hassle the newbies? my manual is a WHOPPING 2 pgs. theres NOTHING to read. ive already connected it all up. ive ran the denon "auto setup" for all my speakers..it defiinately tested the sub also. i actually HAVE read around in these forums before posting. i put in a movie and the sub is doing little to nothing during the music scenes of shrek..haha. the mains are kicking though. the denon crossover were at 80hz for the surrounds/ 20 for center. ill adjust the lowpass on the sub. i did have all speakers to small.

Morons? Way to bite the hand that's feeding you!

The Denon Manual is 88 pages and here's the link to the PDF from their website:

http://usa.denon.com/AVR-2807-OM-English-EU.pdf

Do you have a digital cable going between your DVD player and receiver? I would start on page 43 of the manual and go through the advanced setup procedures.

Morons? You're the one posting asking how to connect a flippin subwoofer. You know, we try to start with the basics around here since we don't know eveybody's knowledge base, but you and the recent wave of newbies have to come in with your attitudes, and get all pissed off when you get some replies. Good luck!!!

when i say morons, im talking about the people like EAR head and PHOTO face w/ the silly comments. i appreciate the help that im getting from the others. this is a FORUM..its designed to help others. id rather u not post in my topic at all rather than to waste time/space in this topic. im a grown man and some of u sound big while talking on the boards..but probably are small kids..haha. anyway, i wont let it get to me. thx very much for the advice(for all the others) and ill report back in the morning. there is a digital optical cable between dvd plyr to denon receiver

You start out be asking for magic from the "geniuses" and end by denigrating the "morons". But it might be instructive to take a step back and ascertain just who cannot figure out the manual...

Starting on page 25 and also on page 43 of the MANUAL, the various options for configuring each playback mode, as well as the default configurations and the options for customization are presented.

Is the manual easy and straightforward, and is there 'one' simple configuration? No..

And is there an easy way for anyone here to provide you with a simple procedure that is neither afforded in the manual nor in the setup procedures? Again the answer is "No".

I wish I had some magic to offer you, as evidently any other answer is unacceptable. So you just might want to set down and step through each input mode and step through the setup procedure with a suitable source while becoming familiar with what mode you want to use, and how to invoke it after setup.

I was unable to find any shortcut in the manual labeled "magic". I guess this makes me a "moron" in your estimation as well. But perhaps the fundamental difference is that I have actually RTFM for a unit I do not possess! So I guess that does officially qualify me as a fool, because I certainly have no legitimate reason for doing such a thing! But at least I gave it a look...[;-)]

If you say your manual is only 2 pages (or something to that effect); and whether that applies to your entire manual or the section that you feel 'fails' to address the issue, I don't know. But here is the manual that can easily be downloaded by anyone who is willing to wade through the procedures that make the proverbial VCR look like a child's play.

usa.denon.com/AVR-2807-OM-English-EU.pdf

I will however agree with one thing. The clarity of the setup procedure, as well as the layout of the remote, the menu structure and the manual, suck.

when i say morons, im talking about the people like EAR head and PHOTO face w/ the silly comments. i appreciate the help that im getting from the others. this is a FORUM..its designed to help others. id rather u not post in my topic at all rather than to waste time/space in this topic. im a grown man and some of u sound big while talking on the boards..but probably are small kids..haha. anyway, i wont let it get to me. thx very much for the advice(for all the others) and ill report back in the morning. there is a digital optical cable between dvd plyr to denon receiver

Learn to WRITE first then start insulting long time contributors. Reading your posts makes anyone wonder how long did you go to school ! You are a grown man !!! Then start acting as one.

And again R T F M

With all due respect,

TheEAR

again, i wasnt calling but 2 people morons. i dunno why every1 else is offended? these people just act like bullys on a friggin forum board..haha. anyway, i have the sub sounding decent now that ive turned up the volume to max. i ended up setting everything to large for now. i want to hear bass..small setting wasnt doing it for mains,etc. i ended up w. LFE+MAIN setting. again, didnt sound as good the other way. mt denon receiver book actually is detailed. i will study that. i want to see what my 1st movie will sound lke on saturday w/ these settings. all the speakers are performing now. i added 2 surround sony speakers to make it 7-1. i turned the lowpass all the way up to 120 on the sub 12 klipsch. crossover freq are as follows in denon setup menu.

front & center:40hz;; surround:60hz;; S.Back/LFE:80hz;; thats what they defaulted to after the auto setup. i suppose thats cool?!

The center is only rated from 100hz-23khz. Personally I would set the center as small with a crossover set at 120 to start.

ok, ill try that. the center has always performed good for me either way!! i know im a rookie at this. i do have 2 10" subs in the car but my brother set that up for me like 6yrs ago. hey keIA, i used to live in lexingon for 2 yrs. thats where my brothers still live(6yrs). i liked it there!

this is fun......

A think to note, do you know the side knob on the subwoofer increases the volume?

Now that's just mean. You know if he can't read a manual then he can't read the words on the side of his sub. Have some compassion.